Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Creating Artificial Intelligence in WM  (Read 3857 times)

jaes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Creating Artificial Intelligence in WM
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »

Hi all,

In collaboration with a few other people I'm in the pre-production of an adventure game, and in the process of deciding which engine to use, I was wondering if it's possible to create an AI system in Wintermute Engine?

I should probably mention that we haven't found a scripter/programmer yet, and we know very little about the technical side of scripting and programming :)

Would it for instance be possible to create a puzzle that resembles a board game? Where the player moves some "objects"/game pieces on a board, and then the AI decides where to put its own pieces on the same board. Each side can move 3 or 4 pieces each turn, and like in a typical board game the game pieces can take out the other game pieces if they have a higher value.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Creating Artificial Intelligence in WM
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »

it's quite possible to do this, but you need to find some skilled scripter as this kind of problems is not easy in general (not only in WME). As a side note, puzzles with AI are generally badly accepted from the gaming public, but it's of course your design choice. ;)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

jaes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:28:48 PM »

Thanks for the answer, metamorphium.

Do you think it would it be possible to do in, say, two weeks (full time), or is it a bit more complicated?

Are there any guides/modules out there the scripter could use as inspiration?

As a side note, puzzles with AI are generally badly accepted from the gaming public, but it's of course your design choice. ;)

It's not a traditional puzzle so I don't think it would put people off. It's more like "a game within the game" :)

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:09:12 PM »

it really depends on the particular puzzle. It's very hard to give you estimates if I don't have a clue what's necessary to script. If you want send me a PM with some more detail and I can try to help you more.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

jaes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:43:40 PM »

Thanks, but it's a bit to early to be more specific. But maybe I'll return later on, when the concept is more complete.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 24 queries.