Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Adventure/Action with WME?  (Read 9704 times)

Neo_Crisis

• Lurker
  • Girl Gamer
    • View Profile
Adventure/Action with WME?
« on: January 13, 2006, 06:33:33 AM »

Hi,I new and new to game design, I'm learning codes and stuff I downloaded WME the other day. ::rock I was wondering if it's possible to make a point and click adventure/action game using WME? (remember I'm new to game design :D) Thanks

Columbo

• Supporter
  • Lurker
  • Just one more thing...
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure/Action with WME?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 07:35:43 AM »

Hello Neo_Crisis, and welcome to the forums.

The answer to your question is probably, "Yes". However it depends on your definition of "action".

Wintermute is designed with point-and-click adventure games in mind. If you want action sequences, like say for example, riding a bike down a road, then you're in for some very serious scripting. If you mean something more simple like a shooting range (like Police Quest) then Wintermute is definitely capable of such feats with very little scripting.

If that hasn't answered your question, let me know in a bit more detail what you mean by "action". (Give me an example)

Good luck in your venture, and happy Wintermuting!  :)

Neo_Crisis

• Lurker
  • Girl Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »

Ok here's an example: The main character/hero has a sword so  in certain scenes he has to use his sword to attack an enemy(s) or item. (as for the item part ex: the charatcer is trying get an item that is behide a wooden door, there is no key,he uses the sword to cut the wooden door down.

Also I want to make it (the game) where you have to use differents characters to get a certain item or to solve a puzzle. ex: there an item to heavy to move or get for the main character, so you which to the secord main character who is stronger, to get the item.

Oh yeah can you use wav files to do fully voiced text (I'm thinking about geting voice actors)
Thanks.

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 06:50:02 PM »

Hi Neo_Crisis, longer ago I was experimenting with the same thing. You can download the demo and the source files here:

http://www.igorrr.com/files/SFLAH_BATTLE_DEMO_v0.30.zip  --(program)
http://www.igorrr.com/files/SpankTheHero_v0.30.zip             --(source)

welcome to WME  ::rock

Neo_Crisis

• Lurker
  • Girl Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 07:43:59 PM »

Thanks. :) It will be long long time before It start working the game. I'm working on a 2D animated short film ,which the game will be based on. :) I'm in the (very) early stages of making the short film (character design and profiles,etc) I got a friend who will be working on the storyline/script for the short film and I'm  going to work on the story/script for the game. :) I also got to learn game scripting and stuff. :D So I got a long way to go before I design the game.  ::beer

Columbo

• Supporter
  • Lurker
  • Just one more thing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 10:18:19 AM »

Oh yeah can you use wav files to do fully voiced text (I'm thinking about geting voice actors)

Yes. Sound files can be played when speech (text) occurs. The method you are probably looking for is :

actor.talk(Text, SoundFilename, Duration, TalkStances, TextAlignment);

The Wintermute documentation shows you how to use this routine and explains it in a bit more detail. It can be found in :

Scripting in WME -> Script Language Reference -> Actor Object  ... then click on "talk" - it's the fourth link down the page.

Have fun!

Columbo

• Supporter
  • Lurker
  • Just one more thing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 10:26:12 AM »

Oops! I forgot to answer your other question...

Also I want to make it (the game) where you have to use differents characters to get a certain item or to solve a puzzle. ex: there an item to heavy to move or get for the main character, so you which to the secord main character who is stronger, to get the item.

I'm not a pro on scripting in WME so someone else might be able to give you real code on this solution, however the basic principle is to use a conditional test. In your case, I would recommend a simple IF..THEN test.

My example in pseudocode :

BEGIN
IF lifting = true THEN
  IF liftingchar = actor2 THEN
  BEGIN
    display "You lift the box. It's so heavy I think it's full of bricks!"
    put item in inventory
  END
  ELSE
  BEGIN
    display "You aren't strong enough to lift this item!"
    drop item
  END
END

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 12:16:23 PM »

It's not in documentation yet but I believe that Mnemonic added the great feature that Talk automatically
uses the speech file named as a corresponding key in string.tab file if present.

Or was it only in my dreams? I think it's true though. ;)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Neo_Crisis

• Lurker
  • Girl Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »

Oops! I forgot to answer your other question...

I'm not a pro on scripting in WME so someone else might be able to give you real code on this solution, however the basic principle is to use a conditional test. In your case, I would recommend a simple IF..THEN test.

My example in pseudocode :

BEGIN
IF lifting = true THEN
  IF liftingchar = actor2 THEN
  BEGIN
    display "You lift the box. It's so heavy I think it's full of bricks!"
    put item in inventory
  END
  ELSE
  BEGIN
    display "You aren't strong enough to lift this item!"
    drop item
  END
END

Ok, thanks Columbo ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 01:46:51 PM by Mnemonic »

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.