Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: skinmeshhelper error on compile  (Read 23396 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: skinmeshhelper error on compile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »

So let me recap. You successfully compiled both Debug and Release versions. If you run the Release version, the engine complains it can't find essential files. For that reason you need to change the settings (as described in the linked thread above) so that the engine knows where your project file is. If you do that, I think you will be able to run the game just fine.

The Debug version is more complicated. You're getting the side by side assembly errors, which basically means there's some DLL mismatch. I think it's caused by the fact, that the provided dependencies (the .lib files) are compiled with Visual Studio 2005, while you are compiling the engine with Visual Studio 2008. So the resulting executable is referencing two different versions of Visual C++ runtime. While Microsoft offers installers for those runtimes, they only provide the Release versions, but in this case we need the debug version, which AFAIK comes only with Visual Studio.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »

I have full versions of Visual Studio 2005 and 2010 and the express version of 2008.  I can compile but can't run with all of them.  The 2005 version is on an older computer that I have at home so I'll try the method you suggested tonight using 2005.  I tried previously with the 2008 version.

Here is what I did (in VS 2008):
I went to Project-Properties-Debugging-command arguments and put in:  -project "projects\wme_demo\wme_demo.wpr".  $(TargetPath) was already listed under Project-Properties-Debugging-Command. 

"projects\wme_demo\wme_demo.wpr" is inside the debug directory with wme.exe.

Is that the correct way to point to a game file?  Do I need to have ProjectMan.exe or any other executable in the directory with wme.exe?

Thanks for all your help.  WME is perfect for my needs and I appreciate all that you put into it.  I'm looking forward to WME2!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »

I went to Project-Properties-Debugging-command arguments and put in:  -project "projects\wme_demo\wme_demo.wpr".
Better use an absolute path: -project "c:\some_directory\wme_demo.wpr"
Then it doesn't matter where the project is located and wme will be able to find it.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:04 AM »

That partly worked.  (I am using Visual Studio 2005 with the debug configuration and used the absolute path to the demo project.)  I got the settings screen and then a black screen.  Frames per second are displaying in the top left.  On the right, it displays the mode, the polycount (190), running scripts ("0(r:0 w:0 p:0)"), mouse position (it changes correctly as I move the mouse but the scene value is the same as the mouse value), Scene ("prev: ???"), and the timer which continuously recycles.  There are no images on the screen.

Do any of the other executable or library files files have to be copied to the directory with wme.exe?  I only have wme.exe after building the source files but I see quite a few other files in the development kit with wme.exe.  ProjectMan.exe, Integrator.exe, wme_console.dll are a few.  Should I be seeing the demo game at this point?

Thanks.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 06:48:25 AM »

Do any of the other executable or library files files have to be copied to the directory with wme.exe?
Oh yes, sorry. dcscomp.dll needs to be copied there. Otherwise the engine isn't able to compile scripts.

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »

Success!  I have it working with VS 2005 with the dll file added.  Thanks! 
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.