Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Omni Light Placement and Fusion between loopeable 3D animations  (Read 7538 times)

DREAMWEB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Omni Light Placement and Fusion between loopeable 3D animations
« on: December 04, 2007, 06:35:36 PM »

I was playing with WME those few days, with the new things and I found really good all the new 3D things. I wan to ask you Mnemonic if there is any plans for 3d oMNI lIGHT PLACING IN THE Sceneedit and properties like colour, etc. It can be very usefull to see direcly like lights will affect in the final game, that is hard to see in the max viewport.

And I think that would be great to implement a fusion between the same animations in a loop, like walk->smooth transition to ->walk
it can be great if we dont have a perfect loopeable animation and anyone will notice :)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 06:38:30 PM by DREAMWEB »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Omni Light Placement and Fusion between loopeable 3D animations
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 10:15:08 PM »

I'm not planning positioning 3D objects directly in SceneEdit. I think it would be really clumsy given the fixed view. Setting light/camera properties might be possible though.

I'm not sure what you mean with the walking. If the animation loops, the engine does interpolate between the last and the first frame when passing the last frame boundary.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

DREAMWEB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:37:41 PM »

I'm not planning positioning 3D objects directly in SceneEdit. I think it would be really clumsy given the fixed view. Setting light/camera properties might be possible though.

I mean positioning Omni Lights only, not any 3D objects, it can be similar to the actor position, you click on the light and then you position it with Left Click, then holding the Right Click button and moving the mouse up or down you can position the height.
Then only in the properties you can choose a colour and the range and maybe a numeric value for the height.

This way, with light placement we can adjust correctly the exact illumination by scene and integrate the 3D character with the rendered scene in a better way; because the render may have GI ( Indirect Light ) and the 3DS file can have a different illumination and with those simple light position and options we can emulate a GI for our characters, it would be great!! ;D

I'm not sure what you mean with the walking. If the animation loops, the engine does interpolate between the last and the first frame when passing the last frame boundary.
And how can I activte this? if you look the hand from my "victor.x" (from the tech demo I made recently in the actors/victor folder) in his idle animation it has a rough movement in the loop.
I try to put:
     actor.SetAnimTransitionTime("idle", "idle", 500);
But nothing happen, I am doing something wrong?  ???
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:43:54 PM by DREAMWEB »

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 09:32:35 AM »

i would support these wishes !! placing and altering the lights in scene edit would be so much time saving and would allow much more finetuning !!!
greets
stucki

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 02:16:55 PM »

And how can I activte this?
Well the interpolation between the last and the first frame works automatically. But of course, if the gap between those is too big, it will become apparent no matter what.

I try to put:
     actor.SetAnimTransitionTime("idle", "idle", 500);
But nothing happen, I am doing something wrong?  ???
This won't work, because the engine is never really switching from "idle" to "idle". The idle animation is active and looping until you switch to a *different* animation, so the SetAnimTransitionTime can't be used like this.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

DREAMWEB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 03:08:28 PM »

Well the interpolation between the last and the first frame works automatically. But of course, if the gap between those is too big, it will become apparent no matter what.

The gap is very small, was for that reason I though there where no interpolation between the loop animations.
 I have used that model and animations (idle, walk and run) in other game and the loop interpolation there was perfect, but this was from another engine that use CAL3D, not .X.
Maybe the time asigned for the interpolation is too small  ???

This won't work, because the engine is never really switching from "idle" to "idle". The idle animation is active and looping until you switch to a *different* animation, so the SetAnimTransitionTime can't be used like this.

And there is no other way to change the anim transition time between loops?  ???

And what about the Omni light placement? Did I convince you?  ::)  :P  ;D

redfox

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »

I would very much like to be able to place an omni light with the same control you have to place actors. Then you could also change the position but also have a height setting to lift a bulb.

If you could define a bulb and it's attributes, like you can define an actors in an act3d file, Colour settings, brightness and size could be preset in groups, in a familiar style that an actors definition file can define each animation

Would it then be possible to move the bulb about, as you can with an actor, and send it to a position?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 04:06:09 PM »

And there is no other way to change the anim transition time between loops?  ???
No, because it simply treats the last and the first keyframe like two consecutive keyframes, just like any other keyframes.

DREAMWEB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 04:30:18 PM »

No, because it simply treats the last and the first keyframe like two consecutive keyframes, just like any other keyframes.

So, That will be my wish  ;D
To have a way to loop something choosing the time between the last and the first keyframes of a same animation, in the same way we can do with different animations

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.