Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Quest for Glory-style RPG elements?  (Read 11807 times)

JustLuke

• Lurker
  • I'm NOT a llama!
    • View Profile
Quest for Glory-style RPG elements?
« on: January 26, 2003, 11:51:49 AM »

Does the Wintermute Engine support the type of features that would be required to create an RPG/adventure hybrid like Quest for Glory?

Things like character stats/a spell inventory/simple combat etc?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Quest for Glory-style RPG elements?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 08:38:41 AM »

I must confess I didn't play any game from the QfG series but I believe I know what you'd like to achieve.

Well, I think the RPG elements (stats) can be done easily using a bunch of script variables; the stats screen could be build using the WME's UI layer, and combat is just a matter of moving actors on screen and playing their animations.
How does the spell inventory work? Does it mean you have actually two inventories, one for spells and one for items? Such thing currently isn't possible in WME, it would need to be "cheated" using the UI somehow...
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

JustLuke

• Lurker
  • I'm NOT a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 11:04:48 AM »

Thanks for the info.

Yes, in terms of functionality, the spell interface is just a second inventory. Also, now I'm thinking about it, there are chests that you can store items in - these also function as seperate inventories.

Perhaps at some point in the future multiple inventories (and the ability to assign them to various entities) might be possible? I understand that this would be an extremely low priority for you to implement.

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 06:35:35 AM »

Luke... interesting to see you here. 8)

I would also be interested in these functions... though I am debating whether to use AGS or wait on the engine while the first artwork is developed... but the art will also depend on the engine... I have a headache now. :-\

JustLuke

• Lurker
  • I'm NOT a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 04:27:31 PM »

Well I'm always interested in finding out what new engines have to offer, and asking about QFG-like features is often a good way of judging how flexible they are.

The Wintermule engine seems like an excellent choice for 2d adventure games, but I'm still playing around with my own 3d engine.

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 05:11:34 PM »

I lost my lead programmer to some really awful RL issues, so I decided to take my game 2D. Scripters... are easier to find, and having a completed engine will vastly improve the estimated time of completion for the game.

I'm leaning towards AGS, but we'll see.

JustLuke

• Lurker
  • I'm NOT a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 06:54:21 PM »

What, isn't the MAD engine up to the job? ;)

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 02:16:36 AM »

I could probably "borrow" a scripter from hero6 for my game if I used MAD... but since it doesn't have much gui at all I'd rather use AGS (pretty stable, mature) or Delerium (the one TheDeath is working on).

Daems doesn't really want to go to 800x600 with MAD, either, the last I heard. But it might be easier to script a different magic system in it.

I got TheDeath to check out WME and he says it's cool, and pretty similar to a lot of what he'd got planned for Delerium. So... it's either WME or Delerium at this point. By the time I get some good art done for testing things with, both will be mature enough to really compare the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Starting off from financial disadvantages, I really don't want to have to pay for an engine, since I'll be struggling enough to pay for project web hosting... :(

Fortunately I do own (or have friends who will allow me to use their computers or make stuff for me,) most of the software I'll need from an art and music standpoint.

The best advantage of Delerium is that it will be free... and I plan on selling the later parts of my game in order to make enough money to continue making games. (I hope so, anyway!!! :D)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 08:56:46 AM »

Starting off from financial disadvantages, I really don't want to have to pay for an engine, since I'll be struggling enough to pay for project web hosting... :(

The best advantage of Delerium is that it will be free... and I plan on selling the later parts of my game in order to make enough money to continue making games. (I hope so, anyway!!! :D)

While the engine developers don't need money to continue making the engines and to pay for project web hosting, right?  ;)
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

JustLuke

• Lurker
  • I'm NOT a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 01:35:55 PM »

I think that it might, perhaps, be better if you were a little clearer on your pricing policy.

Just saying that it's going to cost $$$ makes it sound like you'll be charging a huge fee for the commercial use of your engine. Is there one price across the board? Would someone who makes a game in their bedroom and sells it as shareware have to pay as much as a professional developer?

BTW - I totally agree that there should be *some* charge. If a developer makes money from selling their game, then surely the author of the game engine should too.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 03:08:28 PM »

I'm not clearer on the pricing policy because I still don't have a clear idea about it. I didn't make WME to become rich and I don't have a problem with giving it for free to freeware developers. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of someone else making money on my work, that's the reason for the $$$ note :). And, yes, I believe an individual agreement (dependent on the project type) would be the best solution here, but that's all I'm able to say at the moment. Damn, I'm a programmer, not a businessman... ;)

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2003, 10:41:36 PM »

I just meant that, compared to a free and somewhat equivalent engine, of course I'd rather use the free one, especially in my current circumstances. Anyone would.

If my circumstances change, then of course I'd use the best one I can, and pay a reasonable amount for it. (Considering I'm highly unlikely to make much profit at all anyway.) ;D

As Luke said, you might want to make it more clear that payment would be something you will discuss on a case-by-case basis.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.