Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: 360 degree panoramic games  (Read 16169 times)

TheDerman

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
360 degree panoramic games
« on: November 23, 2006, 05:07:18 PM »

Hi all,

My wish is that WME could be used to create 1st person 360 degree panoramic games, like Scratches, AGON, Post Mortem etc etc.

I wanted to use this method for my latest project, and since WME is my favourite engine and I don't want to ever use any other engine, I obviously want to use WME to build this latest game, but since it doesn't support this type of adventure game, I'm a bit stuck.

So, what do you think? Can this feature be added?  ??? I think it would be useful for a lot of people, and would mean that WME then covered virtually all types of adventure games, 1st person and 3rd person, except for full 3D (see that other thread for that).  ;D

If it can't be done anytime soon, I'll still use WME of course, but I'll just have to do it with static 1st person views instead.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: 360 degree panoramic games
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 07:59:39 AM »

Hi TheDerman,

this pseudo3d view is not very difficult to code, but what would be IMO difficult is the animation - hotspot logic since you
with every change of camera perform a spherical mapping which then distorts the view and all regions needs to be recalculated.

But the main problem would be SceneEdit which would have been completely rewritten since you can't use the existing one
for that purposes (you would need the omni 3d view right there so you can define the hotspots etc. including the distortion already).

As I see it, if Mnemonic performed such a big changes he'd probably go with full 3d instead because people tend to hate this
panoramic view stuff. :)

But seriously, if you're looking for an engine, you can either try this thing in development:

http://pipmak.sourceforge.net/index.php

or contact nucleosys if they wouldn't provie you theirs. :)

Best of luck.

J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

TheDerman

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 08:19:30 AM »

I think people like it as much as they like anything - some like 1st person and not 3rd person, some the other way around, some like this 360 panning, but don't like real-time 3D - everyone likes different stuff. WME's greatness I think is in its customisation and feedom - having this 360 panning would just be another layer to add to that developer freedom. Full 3D would be fine too - let's just add everything to the engine, then we can choose whichever. :D

I've played with the SCream engine - currently, from what I see, it doesn't have any character support, and also lacks the total freedom to customise (interface, dialogues etc) that WME has. I understand your SceneEdit comments though - SCream doesn't have any GUI editors - it's all just in the code, including the hotspot definitions, which is fine by me, so maybe it could be added to WME without a need to change SceneEdit...??? As long as somehow the hotspots can be defined in the scripts, and displayed in a debug mode at runtime, so we can check they are ok. The same could be done for the walk areas and blocked areas too, for the NPC's maybe, but I don't know.  ???

Anyway, like I said, I don't want to use any other engine - I like WME - it's the best, so I'll use it anyway.  ;D  And, whether it can be done or not, it's still my wish.  8)

imagetag

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:02:32 AM »

Hi there,

I think you forgot to post the link, you can get Scream (Scratches engine) here:

http://www.nucleosys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=936

Don't get me wrong, I like 2.5D more than this 1st person stuff, but maybe it is the right choise for you. Scream uses Lua (script language), which is pretty easy to learn. I have no idea, how the engines behave on larger projects, but the developers confirm, that Scratches was completely done with it.

Good luck.

</imagetag>

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »

Why-oh-why... we had that topic several times, feel free to use the search or this fine link:

http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=971.0

and maybe that older one, too:

http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=894.0

Enjoy,
Jerrot.
Mooh!

TheDerman

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 02:26:21 PM »

Why oh why indeed. Maybe because this is the wishlist/suggestion forum, and so I thought I could make suggestions here?

I did feel free to use use the search feature thank you and have already seen those two threads, but they don't really help do they? The first talks about using a single flat image, which is not what I'm talking about obviously, and the second talks about other engines, when I already said my wish is to use WME, and no other engine, ever ever ever!

If you mean why oh why would anyone want to make this kind of game, well, maybe the question should be why not? It's still a commercially viable game style, as is 1st person slide show - publishers are willing to publish both. Also some people actually like this style, and prefer it to others.

And also, don't forget, that a lot of developers opt for these 1st person games (without any, or very few other characters) because they either can't do character modelling/animation themselves (because it's hard), or they don't have a budget to pay someone else to do it, or they have finally come to realise that finding someone to do it for free for a % later on, is the most difficult task in the world. So, in order to actually be able to make a game, with little to no budget, that is of publishable quality, and in a timely fashion, they opt for 1st person with no other characters (or very few). So, that's another reason why.

Now, I know WME is primarily a 3rd person game creation tool, but you can already create 1st person slide show style with it, so it would be good if it could also create 360 panning games as well, that's all I'm saying.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 03:02:53 PM »

Hi TheDerman,

ouch, ok... so in short: I'm sorry for my harsh introduction, it was an exaggerated reaction. I wasn't aware of how deep you already investigated the topic and probably didn't read it deep enough, so I thought you didn't use the search yet and that's it.

If you mean why oh why would anyone want to make this kind of game

No, no, I only thought you didn't give the search a try, it was not related to any game style.

Now, I know WME is primarily a 3rd person game creation tool, but you can already create 1st person slide show style with it, so it would be good if it could also create 360 panning games as well, that's all I'm saying.

Point taken. ;)
Again - sorry, it wasn't meant to insult you or the idea itself.

Greetings, Jerrot.
Mooh!

TheDerman

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:15:21 PM »

Hey, no problem.  8)

I myself wasn't insulted at all, but the idea......the idea was quite insulted, but I calmed it down - the idea is cool now.  ;D

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 11:53:51 PM »

By the way: A simple 360°-Panning can be archived using sceneedit and a little scripting. All you have to do is scroll horizontally through a large scene, where the last complete screen image is the same as the first, as soon as the last image is completely visible, reset the viewport to the start of the image and continue scrolling. Works in both directions.
... delete the inner sleep ...

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.