Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: WME vs. Flash MX 2004  (Read 4626 times)

stoopidgenius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
WME vs. Flash MX 2004
« on: January 11, 2006, 03:55:20 AM »

Hello everyone...  I have downloaded and begun the demo of the WME engine.  It looks wonderful!  I am trying to make a few tiny point and click adventures for my site, nothing major (YET!!).  One day I plan to make an RPG and other apps...  anyway... 

I am not trying to start a Holy War, or anything, but I have been using Flash MX for about a year now, and made many games with it.  Mostly animated board games, and space invader-esque type games.

My question is this:  Why should I use WME over Flash MX to create these games?  I mean besides cost.  As I already have Flash MX, the $$ don't mean Jack to me LOL.  But with relative free control of the movie scene, ability to draw and create and animate characters, scene jomp, goto's etc... why should I use WME to create my game?

Simple enough question yes?  I am going back to the demo now to try and learn this new knowledge quest called WME, all the while awaiting some neat responses.

Thanks
SG

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: WME vs. Flash MX 2004
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 11:12:48 AM »

If you are perfectly happy with Flash, why change it? :) WME has tons of features Flash doesn't but on the other hand
it doesn't mean you must use it or anything. Engine is only a mean for realization of your idea. If you own Flash and
you are happy with it, why should you consider changing to WME at the first place? ;)

If on the other hand find Flash too limited to your needs, then it's time to look for different engine. For example WME.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 12:12:33 AM »

First thing to understand is - unlike for example OGRE, WME is no pure graphics engine, but an (adventure) game engine. Which means - you don't have to care about all common elements of these kind of games, there are ready-to-use (but still very flexible) structures for things like inventories, characters, a path finding system for letting them walk around caring blocked areas, a dialog system, etc. - these are obviously parts you don't have with Flash unless you create them yourself.

You surely can do a lot in Flash and there even is an adventure game engine (LASSIE) for Flash, but when it comes to DirectX support, 3d actors, realtime shadows, fast video playback and after all some easy GUI tools to support the scripting language, you most probably will need a "real" executable.

And that - as a very rough overview and only expressing my opinion - is the gap WME fills.

enjoy!
Mooh!

stoopidgenius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 06:11:38 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I do happily use Flash for most of my needs, but I loved the idea of "Point N Click" adventures for a while now, and wanted to see what I could do.

I have tried a few in flash, and they came out... well...  Flashish.  I noticed most of the ones I have played and liked were NOT made in Flash. Which sent me on a search that ended up here.

Unfortunatley due to the intense time restraints my riddle and game site has put on me I haven't been able to make it through the tutorial/demo yet.  BUT I WILL!   ;D

Any info on how to learn this faster would be helpful...  or have I just not applied enough time to this yet?

P.S.  I use SMF RC2 on both of my forums as well..  where is the spell check button?  LOL

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:42:31 AM »

or have I just not applied enough time to this yet?
Yes, probably :)

P.S.¦nbsp; I use SMF RC2 on both of my forums as well.. where is the spell check button? LOL
Unfortunately this server doesn't support the spell checking extension at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 08:50:15 AM by Mnemonic »
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.