Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Which Version of Wintermute?  (Read 5805 times)

adegan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Which Version of Wintermute?
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »

So I looked around a great deal before landing on the Wintermute Engine. I've started making a game using WME and have really been struggling with how I might eventually make the game available on other devices like Android and iOS. I know that WME Lite is supposed to have support for iOS but is fairly different from WME, and that there is recent news about SCUMMVM implementing WME Lite as well.

At this point does anyone know what the process would be for taking whatever has been done with WME and moving it over to SCUMMVM?

I want to make a 2D point and click adventure. I've got a lot of progress made with WME so far, but really want to make it available on iOS and Android. Should I keep moving forward with WME for now? Has anyone worked with WME and SCUMMVM yet?

Sorry for the vagueness of my question. I am a little lost as far as how you would develop for SCUMMVM at this time and am wondering if I should wait for it or something. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

-P.S.
Hopefully this isn't a double post. I've looked around and haven't really been able to find another post that covered what it's like to develop for the SCUMMVM integration of WME that is being developed. Thanks again!

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
Re: Which Version of Wintermute?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »

HEy!

Main Problem with iOS is, that you cannot install ScummVM there "the official way" through the appstore. So it only works on jailbroken devices. SO if you plan to distribute your game through the App Store, you have to stick to WME Lite.

greets,

Spellbreaker

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »

The idea is for the various implementations to be as much compatible as possible. So you create the game with regular WME and the compiled packages will play with WME Lite or SCUMMVM runtimes. But of course the alternate runtimes have both their limitations which you need to take into account.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »

Main Problem with iOS is, that you cannot install ScummVM there "the official way" through the appstore. So it only works on jailbroken devices. SO if you plan to distribute your game through the App Store, you have to stick to WME Lite.
That's not true. If you are a registered iOS developer nothing is stopping you from compiling your game with SCUMMVM and uploading it to the App Store. I believe the iOS ports of Simon the Sorcerer and Flight of the Amazon Queen do just that.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

adegan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »

Oh wow. Thank you both very much for the quick responses! That really does answer my question quite a bit and is a huge relief. I am very excited to hear that. I love WME by the way, it's a great system and I love the flexibility of it. It's a lot of fun being able to quickly make changes to the game and then actually see them in action.

Thank you both!

Again, amazing engine. I really love it!

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »

That's not true. If you are a registered iOS developer nothing is stopping you from compiling your game with SCUMMVM and uploading it to the App Store. I believe the iOS ports of Simon the Sorcerer and Flight of the Amazon Queen do just that.

Yeah thats true, but I had the precompiled scummVM in mind, like you can download from google play for android.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 24 queries.