Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: WME 2.0 - news?  (Read 26984 times)

whitefantom

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: WME 2.0 - news?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »

Since Wintermute 2.0 is being rebuilt from the ground up, is there any chance of it supporting 360 degree rotation in first-person view? I know this feature has been requested multiple times in the past, and as of now it's sitting in the "Won't Implement" section of the suggestion forum because it would be too difficult to make work within the current Wintermute framework, but that was before 2.0 became essentially a total rebuild.

I'm just getting started with Wintermute and I very much would prefer to create a first-person game in which the player has a full 360 degree rotational view at each node; if this actually might be a feature of 2.0, I'll just hold off a while until it's released and start from there. If there no chance this will be a feature, though, I might as well go ahead and get started with the current version of Wintermute and go from there.

--Jennifer

Darky

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Spreadcamp
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »

Hi Jennifer,

Mnemonic may correct me if my information is incorrect but based on what we can see on Mnemonic's development blog (http://wme2.dead-code.org/) i'd say WME2 still is in it's early stages of development and will take quiet some more time to complete. Because of that waiting for it's release may not be the best option for you. Your idea should be a breeze to realize with WME2 as it is powered by a full 3D engine and 360 degree could be done in so many ways and feels through that, but with the waiting time involved it's my opinion you really better start ahead by hacking something together in WME1 (the latest Dark Fall game did a good job but don't ask me how it was done) or find a more suitable engine. Be advised though that if you choose WME1 and WME2 comes out at some point of your development, it would be unlikely that there is a easy way (or a way at all) to import your progress from WME1 over to WME2. I have no proof for that, but since as you said its rebuilt from ground up it would seem likely to me.

Hope that helps somehow.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »

Darky is right (except I'd like to think wme2 is not in early stages, but, let's say, intermediate stages:) ).
Dark Fall 3 did great job faking the 360 degree view by rotating the scene around camera (since WME doesn't support scripted camera movement).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.