Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: actor3d not scaling  (Read 4461 times)

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
actor3d not scaling
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »

I'm experimenting with 3d actors in Wintermute again.  I can get a model in so far.  I'm replacing the teapot in the demo with some of my own models experimenting.  The models have to be huge in Blender.  There is an actor file that has a scale property in it, forget the name, but it doesn't change anything when I make the numbers 10 times bigger.  Everything is exactly the same size, both with Trinity and the teapot.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: actor3d not scaling
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 09:55:40 PM »

do you change the property in the code or in the act3d file? Can you post relevant data? Scale works fine for me either in actor3D file or as
actor.Scale = 40;
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 12:15:23 AM »

I'll try the .Scale function.  I changed the actor file:

Code: [Select]
ACTOR3DX
{
  NAME = "trinity"
  CAPTION = "Trinity"
  INTERACTIVE = TRUE
  ACTIVE = TRUE
  SCRIPT = "actors\trinity\trinity.script"
  SHADOW_IMAGE = "actors\trinity\shadow.png"
  SHADOW_SIZE = 12.0
  LIGHT_POSITION { -40, 200, -40 }
  SHADOW_TYPE = "stencil"
;  SHADOW_COLOR { 0, 0, 0, 128 }
;  SHADOW_MODEL = "actors\trinity\trinity_low.x"
  SCALE = 500

The scale used to be 180, but in the game, she's still the same size.  The size changes in the preview window, but not in the game.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 12:31:00 AM by fireside »

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 02:02:35 AM »

I think it has something to do with the Vista problems I'm having. 

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 02:37:15 AM »

It's working now.  I clicked run as an administrator in the compatibility window.  Apparently it was preventing something or other. 

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 03:08:38 AM »

i strongly suggest modelling everything in the same scale.. use real world units... This way when you model your sets, actors, props.. etc etc they will always be the correct scale.. no wme scalling needed... simple load the model and bang everything works.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 07:43:31 AM »

If you are using Vista with UAC enabled, please don't edit any WME projects stored in Program Files. Move the entire project directory elsewhere. New projects created in ProjectMan default to the user's Documents folder, but unfortunately the demo projects that come with WME DevKit are installed to Program Files, because I don't want to confuse people by installing stuff into 10 different locations.
The problem is, with UAC enabled Vista doesn't allow applications to write to Program Files and instead mirrors all the changes in a private directory stored deep inside the user's folder. That's exactly what happened when you edited the actor file and changed the SCALE line.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 11:07:46 AM »

If you are using Vista with UAC enabled, please don't edit any WME projects stored in Program Files. Move the entire project directory elsewhere.

OK, I was thinking of making a copy anyway, and I had a feeling there was something weird going on when things get into program files so I'll just stay out of there from now on with my projects.  One more reason I don't like Vista.  I suppose I just need more memory, but the thing robs memory from my running applications all the time to do who knows what, it even stops my phone modem from working.  I've checked it when it locks and there's nothing being downloaded or uploaded, it's just Vista steeling too much memory.  At least I have a legal copy of Windows now.  I had a school license that ran out on XP.

i strongly suggest modelling everything in the same scale.. use real world units... This way when you model your sets, actors, props.. etc etc they will always be the correct scale.. no wme scalling needed... simple load the model and bang everything works.

I really can't model in the grand scale I would need for characters to look right in Wintermute, but I will try to find some way of keeping the scale the same so everything will get scaled up an identical amount.  I could try to scale afterwards, but weird things happen during scaling once the skeleton is attached.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:12:25 AM by fireside »

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »

I really can't model in the grand scale I would need for characters to look right in Wintermute, but I will try to find some way of keeping the scale the same so everything will get scaled up an identical amount.  I could try to scale afterwards, but weird things happen during scaling once the skeleton is attached.

do not scale rigs.. get your scale correct before rigging and then reset all the transforms to zero... then rig.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.