Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: New to WME  (Read 3758 times)

kcarr

• Lurker
    • View Profile
New to WME
« on: August 05, 2005, 03:39:19 PM »

Hi - I'm planning on developing an adventure game, and was hoping to get some insight into some of WMEs features while I'm still in the storyboard phase before I get too deep into the programming.  First of all, is it possible to use a video format as the background, or does it have to be a still image?  And also can WME handle particles and dynamic effects (like smoke, fog, rain, etc) or is that too complex?  Thanks for any help anyone can give me!  ::rock

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: New to WME
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 04:30:41 PM »

First of all, is it possible to use a video format as the background, or does it have to be a still image?
The scenes in WME comprise of so-called entites. Each entity can be either a static image or an animation. It means you can easily animate any part of the scene (including the entire background if you really want to). In the latest version of WME you can also incorporate video playback into game scenes.

And also can WME handle particles and dynamic effects (like smoke, fog, rain, etc) or is that too complex?  Thanks for any help anyone can give me!  ::rock
Particle effects can be scripted, see Jerrot's WeatherGod for an example of snow/rain. Jerrot is also working on a more advanced particle effects generator in the form of WME plugin.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
Re: New to WME
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 07:35:46 PM »

To create smoke or fog effects I would use multiple transparent layers (multiple animated sprites of fog, which you alpha-blend into the sceen).

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 23 queries.