Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Speech question  (Read 17218 times)

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
Re:Speech question
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2003, 09:32:28 PM »

Algorhythm looks pretty cool, and possibly equivalent to FruityLoops... will have to check it out, if only for the "royalty-free samples", hehe. ;)

I use Cakewalk, and found it really easy to pick up as well. I started with the Home Studio which came with my soundcard. It was easy to go up to the Pro version, because the interface was pretty similar. The Pro version (now Sonar, I haven't upgraded, though,) uses soundfonts, so you can make midis which sound somewhat decent.

Get goldwave for audio editing, though. Cakewalk's maximum sound volume is quite low compared to most other programs, I've noticed. I red-line and get clipping in Cake, but if I export the wav just below red-lining then take it into goldwave, I can boost the volume by at least 200% without problems.

A friend is getting some AMAZING results with Cubase + Halion + some good samples + some reverb plugin, though.

For free or as low-cost as possible, I'd go with a mod tracker and concentrate my money on quality samples. Most mod trackers also export to audio, then you can convert that to ogg or various other formats with something like dbpoweramp.

Scarpia

• Occasional poster
  • Rich kid trash web designer :-P
    • View Profile
    • junk dot dk
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2003, 05:51:31 PM »

Whoosh, that's a lot of choices... I tried out Goldwave a few years ago, but I didn't really 'get it'. Cubase too, even more years back, but that one was utter confusion at the time, at least to me. I guess that is why AlgoRythm appealed to me, it's designed to be intuitive for non-musicians too. Hmm, but I should probably give it another try..

Scarpia

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2003, 11:51:20 PM »

Well, like any other program, it depends on what you want to do with it. ;)

I pretty much use Goldwave just for volume maximizing, cutting out leadings and trailing silences, etc. I do midi in Cakewalk and all audio mixing/reverb/eq, etc, as well.

I make beats in Fruity Loops, and I love it's reverb... wish I could get that in other programs. (Just tried Algorhythm, it opened as if for 1024x768 and when I tried to drag it over so I could even maximize it, it almost crashed my system. So... I definitely won't be using it. Fruity Loops is still the ruler of the beatz. 8) )

If you want a free program that you can use to make beats or melodies, I'd pick a mod tracker such as MPTrack, though. It will export to a wav file which you can then convert to ogg. Also, their tutorial in the help file is actually helpful.

For audio convertors, I go with dbpoweramp because it has the best sound of any program I've tried in any codec I've tried to use it with, whether wav, mp3, ogg, monkeys audio, anything. Yamp is pretty good for mp3, though.

It just depends what you want to do with your music program, really.

EDIT: Oh, and here's the harp thing. I converted it to ogg because it was smaller than the original format.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 01:55:18 AM by Brassfire »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.