Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Why WME?  (Read 21716 times)

Scarpia

• Occasional poster
  • Rich kid trash web designer :-P
    • View Profile
    • junk dot dk
Re:Why WME?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2003, 07:41:01 PM »

Disagree. Dis-agree. D-I-S...Agree. I'd like to see a challenge like: Two gfx amateurs, one has to create a mere building front, with glass doors, pavement, a few windows and a tree. He can use any software he wants, any set of colors, resolution 800x600. The other has to create the same scene in 320x200 pixels, 256 colors.

My money's on guy # 1, I can tell you that. Have you tried drawing LSL1 style? It is near impossible to get the color dithering and faux gradients right. With high res, you can use Photoshop or a 3D renderer, and all that's been taken care of.

Point still stands

Scarpia

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2003, 12:39:16 AM »

You're trying to talk about two different things, hand drawn or painted art verses computer generated art.  If you know how to do either they're probably similar difficulty.  a 3d artist has to be wary about lighting and placement of objects, and unions of shapes, etc.  a 2d traditional artist has to worry about the same things only a bit differently, where as the 3d artist has to figure out things more mathematically the 2d artist deals mainly with what he sees visually.

And about resolutions, i can prerender my graphics in 3d for 320x200, and it will still look okay (and yes high res still always looks better), this doesn't make working for one or the other any harder.

The only thing that's harder is when you're trying to do a paletted image verses a non-paletted one, and even that's not hard if you know how to manipulate colors, and even these days programs will do it for you.  and old windows 3.1 image editor, does great converting a true color image to 256 (8 bit) color.

Of course you need to be an artist to do anything decent for either.

This is like those people who say they can't draw.  Everyone can draw, it's just most people's left brained logical thinking stops them from drawing what they actually see rather than drawing what they know.  (This is why you get skewed perspective on some drawings verses others, because the left brain tells you a certain object, say, a table, has a top and 4 legs and that it looks this size, and then you draw it and it doesn't look right).

In any case, whether it's harder for you to draw at a lower resolution than a higher one, is really just a matter of your skill, you may be great at modelling, and texturing, and what not, but not do squat in drawing by hand.  By the same token you could be really great at drawing, but modelling and texturing could totally just not work for you.

Keith
--------------------------------------------
Keith Weatherby II
uhfgood -AT- frontier -DOT- com
Games Afoot Software
Indie Flux - Previews, Reviews, News and more!
--------------------------------------------

scotch

• Lurker
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2003, 11:19:48 AM »

Well It's not exactly that I find low res easier, it's just less work.  I can make good quality low res art fast.  Higher res hand drawn art, like CMI or something takes me longer, about 4 times as long really.  I couldn't imagine working in anything higher than 640x480. Probably it's because I'm such a control freak down to pixel level and can't just paint like I would on real materials.
3d though is easier for high res since I don't have to draw each pixel.
Someone said they had trouble with Yahtzee style art, well I always thought his was pretty basic even by ags game standards, maybe I should play all his games though.  That just goes to show people are good at different things.

Thanks for the answer anyway, I'll check out that demo now.

Edit:  Oh well it doesn't work on my card, nm.  I really would use it if it did though :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2003, 11:22:51 AM by scotch »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.