Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Blitz Backdrop???  (Read 8183 times)

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
Blitz Backdrop???
« on: July 08, 2005, 05:34:44 PM »

Hi all,  I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but is Blitz Backdrop worth buying. I had a look at the demo but it didn't offer much in the way of hands on like most demos. But before I start putting out money on something that I might not enjoy I was wondering if someone who is using it could give me some info. It's cheap enough but still if there is something even better out there that's worth the money, maybe I'd go with that. Any advice? Thanks :)

StarLite
Be Thankful For The Dawn Of The Coming Day - Lisle Engle

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Blitz Backdrop???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 05:55:49 PM »

Well we don't know anything about the features of blitz blackdrop. All they offer is a very limited version. If you want to create a freeware game I'd suggest.... what else?...wme.  ;) If you are going to create a commercal title I'd... still suggest wme because you can see what you are buying, it has good docs, good community and Mnemonic improves it all the time.
fl*p

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 06:23:04 PM »

Hi odnorf,

Thanks for the info. Actually I'm studying wme at the moment along with Point & Click Development Kit. I didn't know Blitz was like wme, I thought it was sort of like Bryce where you can make your own characters and such. But if it's like wme I may as well stick with this. I enjoy working with wme. Thank you once again, I appreciate the input. Have a good day :)

StarLite

texmurphy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 05:03:31 AM »

Hi,

i own a license for Blitz Backdrop, so i'll make a comment about it.

Its more of an engine like Resident Evil or Nocturne, than a point + click engine.
You can code this yourself, but its more for resident evil style games at the moment.

I plan to use both Blitz Backdrop and Wintermute for two different types of games i'm doing.

One is similar to the longest journey (wintermute point + click), and the other is more
action based with zombies and shooting and action like resident evil.

The major benifit for me is you have the full source to be able to do whatever you want in
it. I'm a Blitz coder anyways,so i'm good with the language. But my advice is if your not
really a good programmer its not for you at this point.Wait until they release the next
version, which is supposed to be aimed more at artists.

I've been trying to get on the beta testing for the next version but i think they don't like
giving out a lot of info, pretty secretive about it lol,but Lee the main guy has given some
great support and always gets back within a few hours of e-mailing him.

I heard the new version is going to be a tool aimed more for artists where more scripting is
involved, a bit like FPSCreator from the guys who make Dark Basic, but for action adventure
games.They are also bringing the system to Dark Basic Pro, c#, c++ and Blitz Max.

So to summarise, its a good system if you know Blitz3D very well, Blitz is easy to learn
anyway, but if you can't program its no use to you, better off waiting till the next
version, don't know how long that will be though.

There are a lot of commercial systems and addons for Blitz3D that can be bought cheaply,
that intergrate with Blitz backdrop really well, i'm using some of them with my game.

Hope that helps!  ;)

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 11:08:14 PM »

Hi texmurphy

Thank you for the info on Blitz Backdrop. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to languages. I tried to learn C++ but no luck. I'm basically looking for an engine that doesn't use script at all. I hear that the Adventure Maker is good for that. I finished the WME tutorial and liked it very much, but again script is a big problem for me. It seems that the books that are out doesn't offer much help unless you already know something about languages. If you hear of a C++ for the dummy lower than a dummy give me a hollar. Thanks again for the info. Later

StarLite

VirusPunk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 01:00:06 PM »

I wanted to try this out but the demo located on the main site doesn't work it says the file is corrupted or unknown. Does anyone have the demo that they would like to upload so I can download it?

And also is Blitz-Backdrop extremely difficult to learn? Because I am into survival horror games and I plan on creating a Resident Evil game with it since its the only software out there that can create those types of games..

Thanks...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 01:04:54 PM by VirusPunk »

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 06:55:46 PM »

I wanted to try this out but the demo located on the main site doesn't work it says the file is corrupted or unknown. Does anyone have the demo that they would like to upload so I can download it?

I'm sorry I can't really help you because I don't have it anymore.  :-\  But just for the info the demo is just a 3d character walking on some prerendered backgrounds. Nothing more. It's not a demo of the actual program. So it doesn't really show anything.
fl*p

VirusPunk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 02:19:46 AM »

Oh I see, so if I wanted to use it I would have to purchase it then. Oh well. I might consider buying it anyways when I get the cash.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.