Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: have a 3d char walking and running  (Read 19792 times)

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
Re: have a 3d char walking and running
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 02:52:15 PM »

okay i got it working now ...
i had to change the light position....

strange ... but first it only worked with negative numbers ... than i updated my hidden geometry and now i have to use positive numbers ...
but why are the flat shadows working like the way before and the stencil shadows not ??

doesnt matter its working now .... absolut fantastic feature !!!!
many thanks for charing time and ideas !!

greets
stucki

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 03:39:56 PM »

but why are the flat shadows working like the way before and the stencil shadows not ??
Stencil shadows and flat shadows both use quite a different technology, so it's possible they'll give different results, especially when the light source is misplaced (e.g. when it's stuck inside the model).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

jbw

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 12:38:40 AM »

and use WalkTo() instead of GoTo() in all your scripts..

I have another idea how to do that by changing the file "game.script" (thinking of script system similar to that used in WME demo).

1. Replace header of mouse event handler from:
Code: [Select]
on "LeftClick"
to:
function lclk()

2. Add new event handler:
on "LeftClick"
{
  actor.WalkAnimName = "walk";
  actor.Velocity = 100;
  actor.AngularVelocity = 400;
  lclk();
}

3. Add handler for double click:
on "LeftDoubleClick"
{
  actor.WalkAnimName = "run";
  actor.Velocity = 300;
  actor.AngularVelocity = 1200;
  lclk();
}

Now single and double clicks shares all the (possibly sophisticated) behaviour except of actor's moving speed.

Beware that this trick (as well as that mentioned above) has side effect: if the actor motion is triggered in other way (e.g. by scene startup script) it will use last-used, not the default walk style, so we must remember to reset walk parameters in the begining of such action. Unfortunately it cannot be done at the end of doubleclick handler as the "gotos" are nonblocking.

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »

while testing with the 3d-char i found two things that i would like ro have changed..

first:
if i am testing the charakter and its lightning and shadows in the scene-edititor the scene.ini is not used for actor scale and the setlightposition. (
it always takes the values from the 3dactor-file ... can this be changed ... otherwise i have to start each time the engine for seeing if the shadow is cast to the right side or if the actor scale is right ...  and i have to do this a lot of times before everything is right ..
it would reduce time for adjusting a lot

second:
in sceneedit i need more place for scrolling the scene up/down and left / right.
because if the walkplane isnt in the viewport but maybe 1 meter below so you can only see the actors head ... i cant define the walkplane and the waypoints because i cant scroll down far enough ...

but thanks for all this possibilities !!! the stencil shadows work amazing. its so beautiful when !! i love it !!
greets
stucki

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 01:18:27 PM »

if i am testing the charakter and its lightning and shadows in the scene-edititor the scene.ini is not used for actor scale and the setlightposition. (
it always takes the values from the 3dactor-file ... can this be changed ... otherwise i have to start each time the engine for seeing if the shadow is cast to the right side or if the actor scale is right ...  and i have to do this a lot of times before everything is right ..
it would reduce time for adjusting a lot
I believe jbw mentioned he developed some debugging script for setting the light position interactively. But I don't know if he's able to share it with the community.

in sceneedit i need more place for scrolling the scene up/down and left / right.
because if the walkplane isnt in the viewport but maybe 1 meter below so you can only see the actors head ... i cant define the walkplane and the waypoints because i cant scroll down far enough ...
If you click the "Properties" tab in SceneEdit, there are two values marked "Editor margins vertical/horizontal".
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 01:30:52 PM »

the debugging script sounds like a very nice feature ... !! maybe we can borrow it ?!?  ;)

and now i know what the margins are for !!! stupid blind me !!

thanks
stucki

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 04:08:49 PM »

some other things ...

is it possible to adresse the lightsources from the 3ds file ?? i do all these lighting layers and they can be turned on and off but can i turn the lights for the character on and off too ??
it looks a little ridiculous if all the lights are turning on slowly one after another but the actor is just full lit from the beginning ...

can you make the camera fov. value in the scene editor editable per keyboard input. because the background and the 3ds.geometry arent exactly over another after i imported the 3ds-file and the mouse slider is not exact enought to correct it. Do you have an idea why this happens. i am exporting from 3dsmax ..

as always thanks for taking time ..
stucki

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 05:25:50 PM »

is it possible to adresse the lightsources from the 3ds file ??
Yes, using the Scene.SetLightColor() method.

can you make the camera fov. value in the scene editor editable per keyboard input. because the background and the 3ds.geometry arent exactly over another after i imported the 3ds-file and the mouse slider is not exact enought to correct it. Do you have an idea why this happens. i am exporting from 3dsmax ..
If it helps a little, you can focus the slider and then move it by pressing the arrow keys. It will give you better precision than dragging it with mouse.

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 05:45:53 PM »

super. so i can adjust th lights  O0 ::rock O0

but the geometry problem stays ... but i found out that its not because of the .5 intervals ...
its just not 100 percent correct .... if it fits perfect on the one side it isnt exact on the other side ... i have a scene 1280 * 960 pixels and the difference is up to 4 pixels ..
just looks a little weird when the shadow stops 4 pixels before an object and then shines on the object again ..

does anybody else have the same effect ... ??

i am using the same file for rendering and exporting the 3ds.geometry ... there shouldnt be any difference ?!?

stucki

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 08:50:53 PM »

maybe this has to do with it...
when i import the 3ds. geometry in scene edit it does not match the background very well ...
then i change the overide button it fits better even if i do not change the value
when i then uncheck the button again it changes a little more and i getting the nearest to the background  but it is far from the original imported mech ....

shouldnt the imported and the (checked and unchecked) geometry be the same ??
greets
stucki

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »

Sadly, that's the way it is. There are some imprecisions when comparing the Max camera and the in-game camera..

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 08:33:04 AM »

is there no way to get the result more precise ... i am just guessing. but it makes the fantastic shadow feature a little useless for commercial games if the shadows do not fall acurate on the scene ...

in max there are two values for the camera: lens and fov. the fov value can be adjusted in scene edit ... what about the lens value ...
and maybe it would help a little if the fov value could be edited via keyboard and would be more acurat. example: the fov value in one of my scenes is 65.23 in scene edit the nearest values would be 65.0 or 65.5. could that make a difference ??

sorry for bothering you so much, but i think this feature is so important for the game atmosphere !!
greets
stucki

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »

sorry for bothering again ... 
i am just too curious if you are thinking about any possible solutions ?!?
am i able to help in any way ?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 11:47:52 AM »

I can make the FOV value hand-editable, but I don't have any solution for the differences in camera interpretation.

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 01:14:28 PM »

i think that would be helpful. please make the value editable by keyboard in the scene edit. and up to 2 counts after the ,

another thing that is mysterious to me. in 3dsmax the camera fov value in one scene is 64,47. the imported 3ds files gives me the fov value 51,5 in sceneedit.
why are these two values so different ?

and what about the lens value ?? can this be the reason for the small difference ??

stucki

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.