Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Does WME only support 3DSMAX?? i  (Read 5171 times)

texmurphy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Does WME only support 3DSMAX?? i
« on: June 22, 2005, 02:18:47 PM »

Hi,

Just downloaded WME, and have been reading through the manual.

I have a question about .3ds files and a problem that might mean i can't use it.
Under the section where it says,

"this hidden geometry has to be created in some 3D modeling software and then saved in the 3DS format. 3DS is the only format WME accepts as scene geometry. This format is very popular and you should be able to export is from most 3D packages."

and

"The hidden geometry file contains the following components:

Walk-planes
Blocked objects
Waypoints
Lights
Cameras "

I don't own 3DSMax, but own GameSpace, TrueSpace6 and sometimes use Blender.

After asking on the GameSpace and TrueSpace forums about setting up my camera's, the makers of GameSpace and Truespace, tell me that the only package that can export lights and cameras to .3ds files is 3DSMax  ???

Blender,GameSpace and TrueSpace will only export the model (the geomitry) to .3ds but no lights and cameras  :-\

So if i don't own 3DSMax, which 3D packages support exporting cameras and lights to .3ds files??

They told me i would need a special exporter written by you if i want to export anything other than models  :o

So my question is do i need to own 3dsmax to use WME? or can i use others and which ones?
Can you  explain to me exactly what packages WME supports and what i need to do, because most of all this is over my head, i'm not really a programmer and more of an artist  ;)

Thanks,

Tex.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re: Does WME only support 3DSMAX?? i
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 02:22:28 PM »

Blender,GameSpace and TrueSpace will only export the model (the geomitry) to .3ds but no lights and cameras  :-\

About Blender - I extended some 3ds exporter to export cams and lights. You can find it here:
http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=767.0
Mooh!

texmurphy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 06:24:35 PM »

8 hours of my life i won't get back  :P

Thanks Jerrot, unfortuanately i don't use Blender that much for the rendering now (don't really like it that much tbh) and use GameSpace and TS much more lately, so i don't think i will bother with Blender, thanks anyways.

So apart from a dodgy python script for Blender, are there any other options for me? i.e other packages than 3DSMax?

Not being rude (as WME is free) but you should really change that part in the manual.

3DS is the only format WME accepts as scene geometry. This format is very popular and you should be able to export is from most 3D packages

I wasted a lot of time finding out that this isn't the case.

So before i give WME a miss, can one of the developers just confirm IF and what packages i can use at the moment please???
or if there are any plans for any in the future.

Thanks,
Tex.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 07:13:54 PM »

As Jerrot mentioned, there's a customized Blender exporter, Cinema 4D is capable of exporting cameras (although there are some glitches), I believe someone's using Strata 3D and converts the geometry through VRML. I'd expect the professional packages such as Maya to support complete 3DS as well, but I'm not familiar with them (and that's probably not what you're looking for).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

candle

• Amature Game Maker
  • Lurker
  • Game Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 05:20:41 AM »

Poser will export to 3ds .

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 09:24:12 AM »

Poser will export to 3ds .
I'm not sure Poser exports lights&cameras, though.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.