Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Just Starting Out My Bad  (Read 6126 times)

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
Just Starting Out My Bad
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:22:43 PM »

Good day fellow creators and gamers

I joined back in 2005. I wanted to make a game but didn't have a clue on how to start out. I tried Wintermute but couldn't get the hang of the code. Well I'm back again and this time I'm going to give it a good go.

I just released my first game called Incident At Roanoke. I wish I could have released it with this engine, I would have had less nightmares to deal with. I had to leave out a very valuable puzzle because no one knew how to script it. Towards the end nothing would work right at all no matter what I did.

Well I want to start working on my next game game which is a 1st person game called Terror Within Hawk Manor. I want to use the Wintermute engine because it is the most stable engine out there. I feel that I've learned enough about code over the years that I should be able to get the hang of it. I sure hope so. A lot of people are looking forward to my next game and I'd like it to be a better quality than Roanoke was.

I hope everyone don't mind me being a pain in the lower extremities, I've been known to have that reputation.  Well I'm off, I look forward to working with everyone here. Take care

StarLite Moon
Be Thankful For The Dawn Of The Coming Day - Lisle Engle

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Just Starting Out My Bad
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »

Hello Starlite Moon,

Incidentally I just found a blocking bug in Ranaoke so can't move on. :D (speak about the devil) but nonetheless welcome back to WME. You might be interested in online wme book (reference link is in WME help) which is now available. It could ease you your return back to WME engine.

Good luck.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

design3d

• Sci-Fi fan
  • Supporter
  • Regular poster
  • I, Driller :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:07:27 PM »

Hi StarLite
Good to see You're back :)

Downloading your game...

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:34:46 PM »

Hi metamorphium, I read some of your online book, excellent work. I am planning on starting on Wintermute tonight. I'm anxious to get to the next game. There is a walkthrough on my site if you need it. Where exactly are you stuck. I hope you remembered to save. I hope the block is just as simple as you forgot to do something. Here's the site link

http://indieadventure.freeforums.org/incident-at-roanoke-walkthrough-t461.html

Hi d3d, now that I have a bit of time on my hands I just might get to finish your game. I was enjoying it very much till I got bitten by that spider. I'll get him though

I'm looking forward to pestering everyone in the near future. Let me know if you manage to get by that block. Roanoke was just one nightmare after another to try to fix. I'd no sooner get one problem solved and then there's 3 more to take it's place. Oh,  has any seen Orange Brat around. I missed OB around the scene. Well I'm off to make the rounds take care guys.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »

well, I think it's stopping bug. I talked to girl at the airport, got the ticket, but can't leave the scene because the main toon keeps telling I need ticket. I am thus stuck at single screen with no interactive spots. I now checked your walkthrough which states I simply need to exit the screen, which is not possible.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:25:34 PM »

Hi metamorphium

No please don't tell me my worst fear has just come to be. When you tried to exit, did you put the cursor on the exit sign. Or did  you try to just walk across screen. This is the first time this has happened. Please tell me it's just because you didn't put the cursor on the word exit. Can you try that and see what happens.

This game was just 3 weeks of one nightmare after another. At one point I lost the whole game, graphics, objects, items, characters, and even code gone. I tried to bring in a few of the backups, same thing. So I had to delete the engine, reinstall it and then import the file back in. Then it told me that my mouse icons were non existent. Which was strange because I wasn't using  mouse icons I was using a verb coin. Objects kept moving all over the place, disappearing, characters started walking where ever they felt like it. Let me tell you it's a good thing we don't own a gun, it would have been at my head years ago.

Other than that good news on the learning front. I started relearning WME last night and got as far as Step 7. A lot started coming back to me that I remembered from before like Weypoints. So I'm going to try to get back to it tonight.

Please let me know about the bug and if you can get out of the airport. I guess it is a good thing I kept everything. Sorry about that

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.