Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Design of a game...  (Read 4206 times)

urufan56

• Ummm...Hi
  • Lurker
  • YEA!!!!! FOOD!
    • View Profile
Design of a game...
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:46:27 AM »

I'm creating a game with a friend. Its a 3D game...well at least have the WME 2.5D feature. The scenes will be render in 3D. Anyway...I been palying around in WME with 2D and It just don't work for me(I don't like 2D games) Anyway, I was wondering how much programming work would be required to make a 3D game. I know that I can't make a game without programming...its just that there would be only one person programming...ME! And I don't want to go over my head in work...So...how many hour of programming, about, would it take me to program a full length game ot at least 10 hours of gameplay???
Ummmm...what is this box for?

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: Design of a game...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:07:46 AM »

years. If you want a full 3D game then fimnd yourself a 3D engine... try torque or ogre
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

mylesblasonato

• Developer
  • Frequent poster
  • "Give up is to fail as sacrifice is to succeed"
    • View Profile
    • Royal Wins
Re: Design of a game...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:01:15 AM »

Yeah man, it's really hard to do everything yourself, I have done it. except my game is only 2 maybe 3 hours of gameplay and i used Wintermute which makes it a lot easier to program. If you want my advice, I have been programming for years now and found that Ogre is very powerful and user friendly. The community is fantastic so if you get stuck they can help. Try learning that. Your absolute best bet would be to get a finished game design document that is complete and I mean complete, everyone you show it too should be all like "man this game is gonna rock" and when you get that reaction and only then, you should hunt down programmers and artists which you can find a lot of on the Ogre forums and get them to help you make the game. The hardest part is getting people to believe in your project so make sure everyone you show likes it before you go off and find people to help you because your only going to get rejected. Hope this advice is helpful to you. One last thing if your going for something on your portfolio try and make something with an engine like Wintermute because it's easy and you can produce commercial stuff with it but if you want something that's like really competative with the games out there today and im talking shaders, per pixel lighting, HDR, and all that jazz then your going to have to go with the game design doc thing i mentioned earlier. Anyway good luck man.

Cheers ::beer
Myles Blasonato.
Lead Game Designer, Royal Wins.
@mylesblasonato
@royalwins
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/myles-blasonato/26/600/a38

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.