Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: help with shadows..  (Read 2793 times)

annapad

• Lurker
    • View Profile
help with shadows..
« on: June 25, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »

hello
how are you guys..Thanks again for this great engine
I have another question to ask ... This is something that happens in almost every scene of my game although the actor is correctly placed in the back of every entity his shadow is not hidding behind ...I have fixed the problem temporarily by setting the light position in a way that affects the shadow position so it will be very close to actor and not to be spread away.. Im thinking that a solution of the problem may be to to include the mesh of the object in the hidden geometry.. I Havent tried it though...I was just wondering if there is another way to hide the shadow behind an entity without including the entity's mesh in the hidden geometry...Thanks in advance...sorry again for my bad english

Akatosh

• Lurker
  • Discomfort generates evolution.
    • View Profile
Re: help with shadows..
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »

Hello,

I'm not a graphics artist but I think that problem is clearly due to the scene geometry. Also, try changing the scene's shadow type to "Stencil shadow" so it can adapt to the geometry.

I don't think theres another way to hide the shadow manually in those situations. But I could be wrong. ;D

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: help with shadows..
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »

Yes, you have two options. Use stencil shadows and let them adapt to the table geometry, or use the usual scene layering mechanisms, as described in the scene creation tutorial (namely dealing with the desk overlapping in step 3 of the tutorial or the chair in step 6).

The easiest way would be:

• create a sprite for the table image
  • move the sprite's hotspot to this position:

• place the sprite to the scene in SceneEdit and move it to the correct position

Now the table should overlap the shadow.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.