Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: DirectX ... OpenGL/SDL?  (Read 8410 times)

ClémentXVII

• Lurker
  • Ralph the Wonder Llama
    • View Profile
DirectX ... OpenGL/SDL?
« on: January 23, 2003, 11:31:27 PM »

Hi,

I see that you're using DX api for animating/displaying everything on screen. Is it possible/easy to select/use another renderer?

I'd like to make a cross-platform adventure, i.e. use the same code to produce binaries for Window, Linuxs, MacOS,... Unfortunately, none of the adventure authoring tools I saw could bring me this. :'(

Using another renderer would make it easier to port the application. I know that this would mean changing a lot of things in the engine... and I don't know how it's been built ;-), but it's feasible...

I can understand this wouldn't be a priority feature, because your engine is still beta (but very promising!! I've been testing it for some days now, and I really am impressed!), so let me know how things are working ;-)

Thanks

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:DirectX ... OpenGL/SDL?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 11:04:52 AM »

Yes, I agree with you. Using OpenGL would make porting to Linux considerably easier (I know absoultely nothing about Mac OS) and I'd like to do it eventually, because Linux is a very sympathetic OS :). But as you said, it's currently a very low priority... Sorry.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

ClémentXVII

• Lurker
  • Ralph the Wonder Llama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 02:05:42 PM »

Great! :D

So there IS a chance (even a small one) that one day, we'll be able to create games and build them on Linux ;-)

Scarpia

• Occasional poster
  • Rich kid trash web designer :-P
    • View Profile
    • junk dot dk
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 07:55:16 PM »

Hmm.... Although I'm not even dreaming of doing such a thing, damn it could be cool. Imagine a compiler option of:

Create executables for:

[ ] Windows
[ ] Linux
[ ] MacOS

*LOL* that'd be *inconceivably* cool.

But I guess someone who REALLY wanted to make a game for _three_ different platforms would probably write their own engine.  ;)

Scarpia

ClémentXVII

• Lurker
  • Ralph the Wonder Llama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 09:31:01 AM »

It could be possible to have just one executable, but the engine would have to be written in managed C++ or C#...

There is an Open-Source implementation of the new .Net framefork from MS, called Mono, which has some cool features... imagine running exactly the same executable on all three machines...

But the interface would have to be written in Gtk#, which doesn't have many advanced features yet... wait and see?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 01:20:42 PM »

Well, I was testing DirectX 9.0 for .NET and the C# executable seemed to be running at approximately half framerate than its equivalent written in C++ :-(( So I'm currently being very skeptical about using C# for game development. Might be good for the tools though...
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.