Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: How to name thousands of images?  (Read 3666 times)

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
How to name thousands of images?
« on: October 25, 2005, 01:31:25 PM »

I was working on my game a few days ago, and I needed to setup some system for nameing a set of images along a path. I had 45 images to name. Each view node had four views, Front, Rear, Left and Right view.

The names of my images were getting way too long.
Example of one node with four views:
Lagoon_path_01_front
Lagoon_path_01_back
Lagoon_path_01_left
Lagoon_path_01_right

Then the next note location:

Lagoon_path_02_front
Lagoon_path_02_back
Lagoon_path_02_left
Lagoon_path_02_right

Here is a shorter way of naming the same images:

LG-P-01-F
LG-P-01-B
LG-P-01-L
LG-P-01-R

I have not found a way to name files that I really like yet. As long as I keep each location in it's own folder, the shorter names will work. I am not sure how well Windows will handle long names. I tend to try to keep names short because of windows limitations. In the past windows would cut up my names and make them shorter.

Anyone else want to share how they name there image files? If you end up with several thousand images for a large game, setting up a good filing system is a must, or you will get lost in a sea of images.

Kori

Columbo

• Supporter
  • Lurker
  • Just one more thing...
    • View Profile
Re: How to name thousands of images?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:26:27 AM »

Anyone else want to share how they name there image files? If you end up with several thousand images for a large game, setting up a good filing system is a must, or you will get lost in a sea of images.

I agree.

I find using directories (and lots of them) a good solution to this problem rather than long filenames.

For example, why have a file called :
C:\mygame\data\actors\Lagoon_path_01_font

When I could have :
C:\mygame\data\actors\roger\lagoon\north01

(You could even go further and have another subdirectory called 'north' and then have frame01, frame02, etc etc, but that might be getting a bit too pedantic.

I reckon that's the easiest way to keep track of things. Categorize as much as possible! :) Sure you have to go on and create all those subdirectories (or subfolders as people call them these days) but later on when you have hundreds (thousands even?) of images, you will find navigating them a breeze.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.