Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: problem creating a scene - game has a black background  (Read 6276 times)

kyrandos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
problem creating a scene - game has a black background
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:35:39 AM »

I am following the directions in the wintermute help documentation on how to create a scene.  It's a little vague.  Are you ONLY able to use files named background.bmp as the background image?  I resaved my jpg imaghe as a 24 bit BMP and replaced the default background.bmp with it, and the scene looked just right in the editor.  According to the directions, I can play the game to try it out.  I do so, and get a black screen with the diag info in the upper right, the drop down inventory bar at the top of the screen, and the escape menu works.  The background image is straight black.  I've been trying for an hour now with no breakthroughs...

kyrandos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: problem creating a scene - game has a black background
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:47:58 AM »

hmm, based on the tutorial compile Im wondering if I have to create a menu?  The instructions didnt mention that

Dan-D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:59:46 AM »

You can use any name and couple of formats (bmp, tga, jpg, png, etc) for background. To load You're scene in Debugging Settings of Project Manager choose You're scene. You really don't have to create menu thought.
Cheers!

kyrandos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:13:26 AM »

yeah I figured out that all the menu was doing in the tutorial was fascilitating the process of telling the engine which scene to play.  In my new project, it didnt have a start scene, so the scene was blank.  Fixed now, but the actor (molly) appears red, and is hovering far above the floor area.  She is unable to move around.  Im wondering if I have to somehow attach her into the scene or spawn her?

Is there an actual comprehensive tutorial for this, because the help file is often quite vague / walks you through how to set things up in a very controlled environment without showing you whats really going on.  I find I can breeze through the entire help documentation but at the end of it, I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Dan-D

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:17:28 AM »

Although tutorial is explaining nearly every aspect of WME (try to look carefully) You may try looking here http://res.dead-code.org/doku.php/wmebook:start
This should help ::wave

timbliz

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:40:45 PM »

Hello! I'm new here, and I seem to have the same problem with importing a background. I seem to have to rename it background.bmp for it to work....what gives? Thanks! ::rock

eborr

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »

The documentation is your friend, load up the project manager, go to the help menu item and select the top option, go to Insdide a Game/scene creation step by step, it will tell you how to do it. All you need to do is to rename the image file associated with the "background" entity

timbliz

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 11:53:59 PM »

Thank you, I've been there. It only has me import a file that is already called background.bmp...no files seem to work as a background unless they are named background.bmp....so that is my answer I guess....background images all need to be renamed background.bmp...lame, someone should change that.

Azrael

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Mad Orange
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 07:24:26 AM »

It's because in you scene there is an entity that load the file "background.bmp" ;)
If you open your scene and look on the left column you should have an entity called "background". Click on it then look down on the "Entity properties" than to the "Sprite" row.
Here you can change the image clicking on the "...".

timbliz

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 03:53:53 AM »

Thank you for that! This is NOT explained in the WME Help Documentation.  ::rock

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.