Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Rough info page about WME development..  (Read 13609 times)

FogGobbler

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Rough info page about WME development..
« on: August 20, 2008, 06:13:24 AM »

Hi!

Jan, what do you think of a page (perhaps in your blog) that tells us what you are working on (WME development) at the moment? I know, you don´t like roadmaps, but I think some rough infos about the upcoming features would be very useful, since not everybody is on the IRC.

Best regards,
Oli

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Rough info page about WME development..
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:43:50 AM »

I'm not working on anything right now. My plan is to finish the wide-screen support I started, try to integrate the latest Theora library, freeze WME 1.x development and concentrate on new technology.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:48 AM »

That's actually great news. New technology would allow IMO much easier integration of so many called-after things like shaders etc. :) I keep my fingers crossed for your heroic efforts.  ::rock ::rock ::rock ::rock
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement, meta. That's indeed the motivation.
Now I'm afraid what the others will say *shivers*.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »

They will say: "We already hate your engine"  :D

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »

You already know what I'd say ;) "skip wme2 too and go for wme3".  ::beer ::slug
fl*p

mylesblasonato

• Developer
  • Frequent poster
  • "Give up is to fail as sacrifice is to succeed"
    • View Profile
    • Royal Wins
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »

Mnemonic, will you marry me :P

Cheers ::beer
Myles Blasonato
Lead Game Designer, Royal Wins.
@mylesblasonato
@royalwins
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/myles-blasonato/26/600/a38

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 04:32:55 PM »

Well, I'm not sure what to say here... Although I'm very happy to hear about your intentions to look into exciting new technology, in essence I think you have just declared EOL on WME 1.x, which can't possibly be a good thing for developers already working on professional products and expecting engine updates (reflections, scriptable lights, etc.).

So my question is this: how difficult do you expect it will be to upgrade finished game-parts from 1.x to 2.0?

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »

Well, I'm not Mnemonic, but my position is clear. Re 1.x games line support will be there (in case of bugs etc.), this was my first question too. But new features? In lifespawn of every system you come to a place, where you see that new features will be ammount of unadequate patching, because the framework is many years old already and at that time none of those features you are now calling for were (or hardly were) possible. Having external gfx (and I also hope audio - OpenAL) framework will bring us not only one or two features, but possibility to upgrade wme features as an engine, but also new features gfx wise and audio wise inherited from ogre and open al. And this definitely IS a way to go. Mnemonic is a sole developer and WME grew to such a huge proportion, that it's not in human possibilities to attend to everyone's need in here. So if next gen line uses existing and developing gfx and audio frameworks, we'll get much more functions and possibilities than ever coupled with WME perfect architecture. No sane mind would want it differently. ;)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »

So my question is this: how difficult do you expect it will be to upgrade finished game-parts from 1.x to 2.0?
It's way to early to say, but frankly, backward compatibility is not one of the design goals as I see them now. It would kind of beat the purpose of a radical system upgrade. There might be some semi-automatic converters, but really, it's too early for this kind of speculations.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »

It's way to early to say, but frankly, backward compatibility is not one of the design goals as I see them now. It would kind of beat the purpose of a radical system upgrade. There might be some semi-automatic converters, but really, it's too early for this kind of speculations.

I would say it's quite unnessesary. I guess bugs in 1.x will be fixed, so there's no problem to finish games started with 1.x even if 2.0 will be out. Then you can decide simply to upgrade to 2.x or stick to 1.x for that particular project. Integrating full backard-compatibility usually gives more problems.

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 11:33:18 AM »

I know very well what the drawbacks of backward compatibility are and I fully understand what all of you are saying here. But when you start producing a game counting on future developments that have been discussed here on these forums countless times and then one day you realize that you are not going to get them ever, then it's kind of a letdown. That's why I was inquiring about upgrading finished game-parts to the next engine version.

My frustration with this is not directed at you Mnemonic, I understand your position more than you might think. I'm just trying to assess the situation. I hope you understand my position as well so please try to be as forthcoming as possible regarding your plans, general thoughts and (very) rough time estimations. I hope it's not too much to ask...

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »

I don't think that upgrading will be a big issue, since the most complicated stuff is the gamelogic like Puzzles, etc pp. That will remain the same, I did not read anything that includes something on changing the scripting-language. I guess it'll take just a small amount of time per Scene to upgrade.

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 05:01:33 AM »

I'm pretty impressed with what Wintermute can do and with the documentation.  If there is going to be an update, I'm wholeheartedly waiting but I have to learn what you have out there now.  :  )   I wish I could say this in Czech but I can't.  Only know Dobrý den or Ahoj which in English would be "Ahoy".  :  ) 
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.