Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Gimp  (Read 14625 times)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Gimp
« on: December 11, 2003, 07:40:27 PM »

I guess that everyone knowns this program.

What's new for the windows users is that now there are builds of the development (unstable) 1.3.x version at http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/

Just try it. I am sure that you will get suprised by the improvements over the very old 1.2.x version. The only problem is that it's supposed to be unstable but it works just fine at my computer for the last month (although I didn't have a chance to "play" with it as much as I wanted).
fl*p

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re:Gimp
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 09:17:28 AM »

The UI is customizable enough to make it to fit your needs.

And this an example of Gimp in an almost "photoshop 5 look".
http://master.math.upatras.gr/~odnorf/gimp13.jpg
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 12:14:51 PM »

It really improved a lot and I guess I'll use it in future. How are the filters, is there anything serious you'd miss compared to PhotoShop ?

Oh, BTW: What window/taskbar style do you use ? :)
Mooh!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 03:04:49 PM »

How are the filters, is there anything serious you'd miss compared to PhotoShop ?

Filters? I am not using filters too often, but almost everything I need is there. The only serious thing that I can't find is to create CMYK images which is a MUST have feature for a graphic designer. Maybe this feature already exists but I can't seem to find it. A few more things that I have noticed it misses are: more text capabilities (especially now that photoshop 8 can put text on paths), better layers handling (in photoshop you have groups & colors), more customizable brushes, non linear history (not very important) and maybe some other things that I haven't noticed yet. But overall it's a really great free image editing & creating program and if they continue to improve it with the same speed then it could become a very good & free alternative to photoshop in 1 or 2 years.

What window/taskbar style do you use ?

I have installed WinXP 1-1,5 month ago just to change the colors. The theme I am using is from a site that I can't remember right now but if you are interested I can try to locate it.
fl*p

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 07:38:18 PM »

I have searched the gimpwin mailing list and I can confirm that gimp can't create CMYK documents yet (it's a todo for 1.3 final which will be renamed to version 2.0).
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
v2.0pre1 !
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 02:26:24 AM »

GIMP 2.0pre1 is out!  :)

Unfortunately it crashes on my computer while starting :P, but since this seems to be a problem on my machine only, you shouldn't take care too much about this comment... ;)
Mooh!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 08:07:39 AM »

I haven't worked with GImp yet, but I heard of two features/plugins/filters/whatever - one to make textures automatically (?) seamless, and another one for creating grey-scale heightmaps. Has anyone of you used these and know if they are good or not?

If they work well they would be a real relief for 3d-Designers.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 08:12:22 PM »

I haven't worked with GImp yet, but I heard of two features/plugins/filters/whatever - one to make textures automatically (?) seamless, and another one for creating grey-scale heightmaps. Has anyone of you used these and know if they are good or not?

I finally got it installed, rather unconventional but it works. ;)
I'm quite surprised by it, it's not PhotoShop, but very powerful indeed.

Actually I also wanted to have that seamless feature, too. I used it years ago for homepage backgrounds (iiiieks!! MANY years ago!!) but I don't remember the program, maybe it even was on my old Amiga computer. I just played a little with it and... well, for nature backgrounds it could be quite useful, but it uses transparency effects and I guess for some texture it wouldn't look good.* But I gave it one of my own textures which were not that perfect before and it looks great now.  I guess you'll just have to try it out, it's difficult to describe. (Editing it manually is not that hard though... just changing the offset, smoothing or painting the break line and reset the offset again.)

I'm not sure about the heightmaps... there even is a filter called "Bump Map", but it doesn't seem to be what it promises. But it's as easy as with PhotoShop though, just convert to greyscale and adjust the colour values (even inverting works that way).

Give it a try, up to now I really like it and - it's free.

EDIT: * and you can't adjust values for this effect. :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:44:16 PM by Jerrot »
Mooh!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 08:59:42 PM »

I think that heightmap-thing was an extra-plugin ... don't know where I saw it (in some Blender-tutorial probably)

But nevertheless, I'd like to try out Gimp ... I'm just downloading it (after searching very long for the right files to download ... this whole open-source-scene is way to complicated for windows-click-and-run-users like me  :) )

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 09:07:02 PM »

But nevertheless, I'd like to try out Gimp ... I'm just downloading it (after searching very long for the right files to download ... this whole open-source-scene is way to complicated for windows-click-and-run-users like me  :) )

Wait for the installation... ;)
Mooh!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 09:12:26 PM »

Finished :-)

It was a little bit strange that the GDK-thing didn't recognize the installation-path I typed in, so now it's in the wrong directory ... but everything else went fine (guess today is a good day for me ... should have asked the boss for more money :-) )

But after the installation Gimp showed a funny behaviour: I started it, and both Gimp and the window for layers and stuff appeared in the task-line - but not one the desktop!

After 5 minutes of looking for what went wrong I finally had the good idea to switch on my second monitor :-)

Okay, I will try out now.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2004, 04:23:35 PM »

There is a third preview version of 2.0 available which has some important improvements (text).

EDIT: And don't forget to chech the GIMP-GAP plugins.

EDIT: If you get a stange error & crach when gimp is trying to load the fonts at startup then try to unistall some fonts. It seems that gimp has some problems when someone has a lot of fonts installed (%^#$%^*^(!#$&%#@#@).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 04:26:58 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 02:59:32 PM »

Gimp 2.0 is released!  ;D

...don't forget to check the "Windows Gimp Deweirdifyer" plugin from this page http://registry.gimp.org/list?baseVersion=6
A small description "A rubbishy little plugin for Windows Gimp that gets rid of some of the weirdnesses and annoyances in the Windows version of Gimp. Basically it's a background window that sits under gimp..."
fl*p

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Gimp
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 09:05:15 PM »

Gimp 2.2.0pre1 is out. Check it here http://gimp-win.sf.net/
From a VERY quick look it has many small interface improvements almost everywhere and the filters finally have previews.

If only the gimp-team could add cmyk support & change the "tools options pallete" to something smaller and friendlier like photoshops one...

Also the windows version still has the same installation problems as described in the other posts.  :P

Don't forget to download the latest GTK+ version from the same link as gimp2.2 requires it.

EDIT: This version of gimp windows installer creates wrong shortcut! DAH!  ???
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 10:07:31 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Orange Brat Shenanigans™
Re: Gimp
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 07:23:40 PM »

I see that the final 2.2 is out. Don't forget to download the new GTK.  Realtime preview of transform tools and improvements to filters are a couple of improvements.

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

...don't forget to check the "Windows Gimp Deweirdifyer" plugin

I recently discovered that plus there's another that adds a Windows style save/load dialog.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:25:29 PM by Orange Brat »
The Disenfranchised™ - coming later
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.