Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: particles generated in region?  (Read 3888 times)

DocBass

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
particles generated in region?
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »

Is it possible to have a particle emitter bounded by a region that is laid out in the scene? It is easy to attach a particle emitter to a region, but it appears that the only area that can generate these particles is a bounding box determined by the values you set for x, y, width and height. It would be awesome if we could lay out a shape and have that emit the particles...is that possible? I see no way to do it currently. Thanks as always.  :)

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: particles generated in region?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »

you can shape it by transparent overlay which you place over the emitter. Transparent part of the overlay could be easily shaped for any shape you need.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

DocBass

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:55:07 PM »

you can shape it by transparent overlay which you place over the emitter. Transparent part of the overlay could be easily shaped for any shape you need.

Edit: Are you referring to a transparent image overlay? That wouldn't quite work because then the particles would pass underneath an opaque part of the overlay where they need to be visible. Just curious if you meant something else.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:10:20 PM by DocBass »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:28:21 AM »

Particle emitters provide a property called "UseRegion". To quote the docs: "If set to true, the particles are only visible when they are inside a region (only works for particle emitters owned by region entities)". Is that what you need?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

DocBass

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »

Particle emitters provide a property called "UseRegion". To quote the docs: "If set to true, the particles are only visible when they are inside a region (only works for particle emitters owned by region entities)". Is that what you need?

Yes that might work, I will give it a shot. I read that, but didn't think it would entirely work but I will try it. Also, when using the fadein and fadeout parameters for particles is there a way to keep them moving as they fade? They currently will fade in and then start moving, or stop, then fade out. It would be nice to have them fade in and out as they move. Again not sure if I am missing anything in the docs, but I make sure to read over them first.  :)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:15:34 AM »

That's not possible, I'm afraid. You can only achieve continuous alpha change using Alpha1, Alpha2 and AlphaTimeBased properties.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.