Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Swearing in adventures.  (Read 6735 times)

mylesblasonato

• Developer
  • Frequent poster
  • "Give up is to fail as sacrifice is to succeed"
    • View Profile
    • Royal Wins
Swearing in adventures.
« on: September 18, 2009, 01:05:54 AM »

Hi guys,
I just want to get some opinions on swearing in an adventure game where it is needed. Let's say a prison game or a mafia game.
If swearing is needed do you keep it or substitute it?

Cheers  ::beer
Myles Blasonato.
Lead Game Designer, Royal Wins.
@mylesblasonato
@royalwins
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/myles-blasonato/26/600/a38

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: Swearing in adventures.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:08:36 AM »

when ever you want to use it. It is all about what you wish to do with the game and who you expect will pay it. Adding sex, or ultra-violence or swearing will limit your audience.. but it can also give you a much more loyal audience.. there is a lot of gamers who are adults looking for more adult themed games. I do not think there is any rules about it... if it fits the character to swear and fits the tone of the game i say do it... never hurt Scorsazy films.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

HelLRaiseR

• I don't want to make a Monkey Island clone :(
  • Wiki editor
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Box Studios
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 03:42:09 PM »

I think that isn`t bad, the swearwords are used habitually in the language in moderate quantity. The gamer doesn't think is right that if the game has a lot of swearwords, he can consideer the game really tacky.

Of course, "Wheels on Fire" has certain quantity of swearwords  >:D

CURIOSITY: In Spain, there is a organization called "Real Academy of the Language", that define the use of spanish language and the correct words and expressions. One of the people of this group, was a famous writter called Camilo J. Cela, He was famous for her vocabulary, that contained a lot of swearwords. He ever defended her vocabulary, becouse were formed by spanish words that are been recognized by the Real Academy of the Language and can be used.
Regards,

Fernando

Juan Bonair

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 04:03:02 PM »

I would say just write the best you can and don’t cut a rich part of your vocabulary just because good manners says you should.

I swear a lot when playing adventure games (especially hard ones) and I don’t expect the game doing something different than me.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.