Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: How do I begin???  (Read 9558 times)

TeLeStIc

• Lurker
    • View Profile
How do I begin???
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »

Hi!!
First of all, lots of congrats for making this thrilling tool reality!!I think that for almost everyone in the adventure community, making his/her own game is a dream come true!

Well, I'm actually in a dilemma about how to begin creating a game. I've thought of a story, I've sketched some characters, but I can't decide...should I try 2.5D or  plain 2D???????? ???
The thing is, that although I believe I'm pretty good at sketching, I just know the basic stuff about both 3ds max and Paint Shop pro(I don't own Photoshop unfortunately). Which means, it will take quite some time for me to both learn more about either of them...but which one is more worthy trying????

Personally, I think that I prefer 2D characters drawn by me, because they will look exactly like I want them to look. But I don't think that 2D BGs are as beautiful as pre-rendered ones. Here is where I need some information...
With paintshop, will I be able to add complex texture on my BGs? Also, what about light and shadows? Or animated scenes??? Can I add some flashing lights with sprites? And what is the max size or the max number of the sprites I can use in a scene??

What do you say? Without risking giving everything up, which method is better: 2.5D or 2D?????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
 ::hijack(this emoticon really rocks!)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Υ.Γ.: Odnorf,

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: How do I begin???
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 07:49:31 AM »

That's a tricky question. I'm not an artist, so don't take me too seriously, but I'll say my opinion anyway, and hopefully some artist will join the discussion as well.
Most people will probably find 2D design easier than 2.5D, especially if this is your first big game project. 2D comes natural for a classically educated artist/animator. You say you're good at sketching therefore you're probably inclined to 2D art, I don't know.

But I don't think that 2D BGs are as beautiful as pre-rendered ones.
It's really dependent on what style you're aiming for. Both 2D and 3D backgrounds can be beautiful IMO.

With paintshop, will I be able to add complex texture on my BGs? Also, what about light and shadows?
I think you can do just about anything if you know how :)

Can I add some flashing lights with sprites? And what is the max size or the max number of the sprites I can use in a scene??
From the technical standpoint, yes, absolutely. There are no limits other than memory and performance constraints.

Υ.Γ.: Odnorf,
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 01:59:18 PM »

fl*p

zyndikate

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 05:58:56 AM »

Personally, I think that I prefer 2D characters drawn by me, because they will look exactly like I want them to look. But I don't think that 2D BGs are as beautiful as pre-rendered ones. Here is where I need some information...
With paintshop, will I be able to add complex texture on my BGs? Also, what about light and shadows? Or animated scenes??? Can I add some flashing lights with sprites?
I know its kinda old, and you probably dont even care anymore. :)

I, myself, prefer 2D backgrounds. I never been a big fan of those 3d adventure games(well, alone in the dark doesnt count :) ), but its totaly up to you. Think I would have in mind if going for 3D pre-rendered ones is that your sprites might actually not fit on it at all, but then, Im not sure how you mean, you can use cellshading and all that to make it fit 2D more. You also ask about paintshop capabilites, I would say that it stops with the artist, its just a medium after all. Making beatliful 2D games is possible, with flashing lights, subeams going thru windows, and 2d characters casting shadows. You just need to be creative, you can paint the ligth on a new layer and use it as a sprite or such which you can switch on and off, etc.
Texture a background to death isnt such an good idea, the spites wont fit. It will make them look very flat since they will miss alot of details, and detailing 2D characters will only make it hard to animate.

You can study some games thats on the market and see how they solved problems that they might have.

here is a background of mine with 2D characters in it:

The background doesnt have much textures, but the sprites fits, and I think thats the important thing - making the whole game fit together.

TeLeStIc

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 09:34:56 PM »

I know its kinda old, and you probably dont even care anymore. :)

It's not old at all you know... :)

In fact thank you for a really really helpful posting!  ::rock
Well, I'm still in dilemma. What I'm doing now, it's just trying to learn modelling in 3ds max AND drawing in paintshop or photoshop(a friend of mind gave me an older version to try)...and still I haven't decided!But having in mind that the adventure I'd like to create is comical and that I can start hand-drawing much faster than modelling AND looking at screenshots like yours(the paintings on the walls are great ::thumbup), I think I'll try at 2D first. And if,at some point, I become better at 3D modelling, I'll think again! :D

Mostafa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »

I have the same question; I want to know how I could learn making games with this engine. I want a Tutorial plz. I want a tutorial about scripts… I don't know what this script in this engine is. I know some about programming with basic, C and VB…
From where could I learn scripts in this engine?
Thanks  ;)

jlinam

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 05:19:18 AM »

I have the same question; I want to know how I could learn making games with this engine. I want a Tutorial plz. I want a tutorial about scripts… I don't know what this script in this engine is. I know some about programming with basic, C and VB…
From where could I learn scripts in this engine?
Thanks  ;)

The WME manual has a really good tutorial on the basics of crating a scene, and a full reference for the scripting language. The wiki page (http://wiki.dead-code.org/wakka.php?wakka=HomePage) has some good tutorials also, and more structured discussions of the scripting system. Those are the best places to start.

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »

I'm wondering if DazStudios or Bryce might help you at all. DazStudios is free but you have to join their site. You can get Bryce 5.5 for free also I think it's still available. If you want to check it out here is the address:

http://www.daz3d.com/

You can get lots of freeies for the program from a lot of free sites. You might find it an easier way of creating characters, plus if you join their site they send you free models every week. It might be worth checking out. If you are strapped for cash you can always try the free programs like Gimp, Blender or Milkshape and for animation there is a little free program called Creatoon. Hope this helps.
Be Thankful For The Dawn Of The Coming Day - Lisle Engle

CMK2901

• Lurker
  • Zoidberg is afoot!
    • View Profile
    • CMK Studios
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 04:03:40 AM »

I would really, really, REALLY recommend you just go with Blender.  I mean, it's free.  Come on.  If you want pre-rendered, Blender will let you get going without all that license crap (I mean, I've never met a person who's actually bought 3D Studio Max) and the renders can be really remarkable, if you have some patience.

As far as just drawing your background...that can get frustrating if you're going for realistic.  THIS is as far as I got with drawing scenes.  What I've found makes drawn scenes more impressive is the use of lighting/detail.  But it takes way too long and gets very frustrating when you want to change some tiny thing, but it would take forever.  You don't have to deal with that with pre-rendered stuff.

CMK Studios
I don't think we're hearing the same voices.

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 20 queries.