Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Distributing single packages?  (Read 8555 times)

Amo

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise The Game
Distributing single packages?
« on: September 13, 2007, 09:57:42 PM »

Hey folks. Maybe I missed something but I couldn't find anything about it. Is there any possibility to distribute only single packages without compiling the whole game? May sound strange but image the following: You make some testing and run into a bug. Nothing special. You make a correction and than: You have to wait until the full game has been compiled. That costs a lot of time. Wouldn't it be nice if you have to wait only for the package where the changes have been made (in our case it costs around 10 minutes to compile the whole game)

Regards

Amo

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Distributing single packages?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:02:44 PM »

yes. Create a new package and give it higer priority in project manager. This is the way how patching is done conveniently. In this package you can easily replace what's wrong.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 10:05:14 PM »

I believe Amo means he only wants to compile a selected package in ProjectMan, not all of them, i.e. something you suggested before and I forgot about it :)
I'm moving this thread to feature requests so that I don't forget again.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Amo

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise The Game
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »

Yes Mnemonic, you are right. Ok, it was morely a question but I ain't afraid when it is a feature request now.

::beer

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:52:44 PM »

It is possible. You just need to setup a new project, create a package not named "data", put everything you want to have in the other game in there and compile that new project. The Startup project is quite empty, so compiling does not take much of time.

A real-live example: As we all know, strings for localisable games are normally kept in "string.tab". So, to localise the game without bothering the publishers too much, you  just need to get a copy of their string.tab, translate it, setup a new project, create a folder, put your new string.tab in it (yes, it does not have to be connected to your new project ;-) ), promote that folder to a package, set the priority of this package to somewhat higher than original (say, 10, for example) and compile. then ignore all created stuff except your new priority package, copy it to the original game, and voila, your game is localised.

(Well, if the publisher thought about a way to deal with special characters, that is ... but that's not the question here.)

All you need to patch the game is the original filenames of the files to patch, and their content, dimensions for images etc.
... delete the inner sleep ...

Amo

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise The Game
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »

Hi Synchron,

you get me wrong, or do not understand what the idea behind is. At least I believe that. The thing is, when creating a beta and fixing numerous alpha staged errors for the testers it is very helpfull when you just need to compile the fixed package, copy it to the server and a fixed version is available for the testers. I do not talk about patches, I talk about getting into beta phase.

Regards

Amo

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 01:48:10 PM »

I understand what you want to do ... there is no direct way, and Mnenomic agrees to implement one.
I just showed you an indirect way to save compile time.
... delete the inner sleep ...

Amo

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise The Game
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 04:50:55 PM »

Hi Synchron, thanks for your efforts.

Regards

Martin

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.