Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Bug in mouse events depending on desktop resolution / full screen mode  (Read 20116 times)

HelLRaiseR

• I don't want to make a Monkey Island clone :(
  • Wiki editor
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Box Studios

I think that there is a bug in the mouse events depending of the resolution of the game.

When the desktop has a resolution greater than the game and the player uses the options "Use desktop resolution" or "Maintain aspect ratio", the events "LeftRelease" and "LeftClick" doesn't is detect. This bug only occurs in a full screen mode, in windowed mode the game runs correctly.

I have detected this bug when I've adapt the configuration window of the "Fred" demo to my own game and Darky ask me about the slide bars control. Jose has been tested the bug and he can say more details about the testings.

I know that Jose has tried to disable the option "Use desktop resolution", but this not solve the problem becouse the option "Maintain aspect ratios can't be disabled". Also, Jose tried to propagate the events, and use some methods like LockMouseRect and others to create a workaround to solve this, but he doesn't can.

The Fred demo source is here:  http://www.algarinejoven.com/wintermute/ejemplos/FredSources.exe , in this project you can test the bug:

- Your resolution must be greater than 800 x 600 (Game resolution)
- Run the project.
- Choose Use desktop resolution or Maintain aspect ratio (Used desktop resolution can be marked to yes in the Project manager).
- Don't choose "run in window"
- When the game is running press ESC key
- Choose "Opciones" in the option menu.
- Try to change any sound volume
- Uack! The game is hanged

Regards,

Fernando

HelLRaiseR

• Wiki editor
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Box Studios
Re: Bug in mouse events depending on desktop resolution / full screen mode
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »

The temporary solution is that the slide control can't be interactive, we use two buttons (+ and -) to modify the volume, and the button of the slide will be changed for a indicator.
Regards,

Fernando

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »

I'm aware of this, thanks.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jose

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »

Hi Mnemonic,

are you planning to release a patch to solve this error?

Thanks a lot.

Weraustinne

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »

Hi Mnemonic,

Thanks a lot.

Mnemonic told me on IRC, "I am working on the new version", so just wait and have patience :)

Jose

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »

Hi Mnemonic,

Thanks a lot.

Mnemonic told me on IRC, "I am working on the new version", so just wait and have patience :)

Oh! I have patience but we can't just wait till new version release (overall if using the new version implies deep changes in the current code we have). Te reason for asking about a patch is in order to decide if we can mantain the actual interface or if we'll have to redesign it.  ;)

I'm a great admirer of Mnemonic's work and I don't want to appear impatience or that I want put preassure on him. I only ask for some info in order to make our own decisions about the progress of our game...

Weraustinne

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »

Hi Mnemonic,

Thanks a lot.

Oh! I have patience but we can't just wait till new version release (overall if using the new version implies deep changes in the current code we have). Te reason for asking about a patch is in order to decide if we can mantain the actual interface or if we'll have to redesign it.  ;)

I'm a great admirer of Mnemonic's work and I don't want to appear impatience or that I want put preassure on him. I only ask for some info in order to make our own decisions about the progress of our game...

I also need to further development of my game a bugfix relase of WME 1.xx
Therefore I write to Mnemonic on IRC and he said, I am working on WME 2 and the new version of WME 1.x,
New version of WME 1.X should be fully compatible with version 1.8.10, it will only contain bug fixes (and maybe something new), but not rewritten the entire code.
(The entire code will be overwritten in WME 2 (WME 2 is not compatible with 1.x), but new WME 1.x version is fully compatible with 1.8.10, so again just wait.:)

I said to Mnemonic, Please discontinue work on WME2 and please now work  on the last (bugfix) version of WME 1, and after that continue works on WME 2, but I think, Mnemonic is now angry at me:)

WME2 is still at an early stage of development and will take a long time and lot's of hard work to go to the final stage.
Another problem is - WME2 is not backward compatible with WME1, so I understand you and I want too a new version from WME 1.X "series" (which corrected all serious bugs), but...    decision is at Mnemonic. 

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 01:26:58 PM »

well, source code has been released to public, you can fix the problems easily yourself, no?  >:D
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Weraustinne

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »

well, source code has been released to public, you can fix the problems easily yourself, no?  >:D

Yeah, many thanks for your help ;D
Are you want personal aircraft?
Buy it!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:27:15 PM by Weraustinne »

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 05:09:08 PM »

Please be aware that Mnem is doing this all for nearly nothing, zero, zip, nada, nix. So right now there are no serious bugs in WME which can't be worked around, so I personally simply would like that he drops 1.8 after the next release and focus on wme 2 for a while.

greets,

spellbreaker

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 05:13:33 PM »

I fixed the bug and also a similar bug in Game.LockMouseRect().
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

HelLRaiseR

• Wiki editor
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Box Studios
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »

Peace and Love  ::thumbup  ;) ;)   ;D

Thanks Mnemonic
Regards,

Fernando

Jose

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 08:36:07 AM »

Great work Mnemonic!!! Thanks a lot!!!

Jose

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »

I think that there is a bug in the mouse events depending of the resolution of the game.

When the desktop has a resolution greater than the game and the player uses the options "Use desktop resolution" or "Maintain aspect ratio", the events "LeftRelease" and "LeftClick" doesn't is detect. This bug only occurs in a full screen mode, in windowed mode the game runs correctly.

I have detected this bug when I've adapt the configuration window of the "Fred" demo to my own game and Darky ask me about the slide bars control. Jose has been tested the bug and he can say more details about the testings.

I know that Jose has tried to disable the option "Use desktop resolution", but this not solve the problem becouse the option "Maintain aspect ratios can't be disabled". Also, Jose tried to propagate the events, and use some methods like LockMouseRect and others to create a workaround to solve this, but he doesn't can.

The Fred demo source is here:  http://www.algarinejoven.com/wintermute/ejemplos/FredSources.exe , in this project you can test the bug:

- Your resolution must be greater than 800 x 600 (Game resolution)
- Run the project.
- Choose Use desktop resolution or Maintain aspect ratio (Used desktop resolution can be marked to yes in the Project manager).
- Don't choose "run in window"
- When the game is running press ESC key
- Choose "Opciones" in the option menu.
- Try to change any sound volume
- Uack! The game is hanged

It seems to work perfect with new 1.8.11 version. Great work as always Mnemonic! Thanks a lot for your effort and support!

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.