Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: WME Tech Demo...  (Read 6942 times)

CMK2901

• Lurker
  • Zoidberg is afoot!
    • View Profile
    • CMK Studios
WME Tech Demo...
« on: September 28, 2007, 08:45:53 AM »

Hi everyone,

Both to better help myself understand the many features and abilities of WME, and to hopefully provide a resource for the community, I'm hoping to create sort of an updated WME Tech Demo, one that will try to showcase the abilities of the engine, provide useful code for new users, and advertise the engine as a professional-grade game creation tool.  It wouldn't really be a game; just a sort of test world with different rooms showcasing different features.  I can't really say whether I'll have time to finish this in a timely manner (I am in college right now), but I'm very interested.

My current list of engine features I want to showcase:
  • Video w/ Subtitles
  • Multiple Interface Examples (Sierra, LucasArts, FMV Smartpointer, Fandango, Myst (Panoramic View?), Text Parser)
  • 3D Characters (Dynamic Lighting/Shadows, Bone Animations, Lip Sync(?), Object Interaction)
  • Parallax Scrolling Background/Foreground
  • Object Video Playback -- TVs, Billboards, etc.
  • Multiple Inventory/Player Character Examples
  • Particle Effects
  • Various Dialogue Structures (Simple, Trees, Close-ups...sort of a function of interfaces)
  • Particle Effects (smoke, weather, sparks, etc)
  • Music (Multi-channel and crossfade examples)
  • Localization/Package Usage example (?)
  • Options Dialogs (save, load, volume, gameplay options)(advanced interface effects)
  • Screen Filters(as in, sprite overlays to simulate grain/lighting/blurs)

So, I have a few questions right away (which probably belong in the technical forum, but hey): Is it possible to incorporate both 3D and 2D characters into the same game?  Would a panoramic first person view be possible?  Can localization settings be set through an options menu on the fly? 

And then the community BB part: Am I missing any features that WME is capable of?  Are there certain things you'd like to see demonstrated in the tech demo?  I'd like to hit everything that WME is capable of in this demo at least once, so give me any things that I've left off this list.

Thanks,
-Clark
CMK Studios
I don't think we're hearing the same voices.

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: WME Tech Demo...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:00:41 AM »

great idea. if you need a hand pm me.

How about also doing nested inventory items.. (eg: - a bag inside your inventory that is an inventory all itself)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 09:09:42 AM by Jyujinkai »
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:07:40 AM »

sychron wants to create an advanced demo for wme too. And he even has the first sketch of a simple plot too to make it more interesting. Maybe you can team up?

So, I have a few questions right away (which probably belong in the technical forum, but hey): Is it possible to incorporate both 3D and 2D characters into the same game?  Would a panoramic first person view be possible?  Can localization settings be set through an options menu on the fly?

It's possible to have both 3D & 2D characters in the same game. It could be possible to select the main character at the main menu but that would require some changes in the game as well, depending on the character. It would be new - to be able to choose 2D or 3D character - but much more work. First person view is possible, but not panoramic like in node 360 based games that the background is rendered inside a sphere to get the perspective effect. There was once a demo with a scrolling panoramic view but without the perspective it doesn't look good. Localization settings can be set through a menu on the fly (set a variable) but that would require also scripting (check a variable and set the currect string table, load certain localized entities etc).
fl*p

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:54:49 PM »

Yep, I thought on creating a nice demo game, too. I am currently fleshing out a story for it, for I think a demo project without a plot is quite boring, while a demo with a reason to play through will be played through more often.

I'm currently creating the story in celtx, and as soon as it is usable, and as soon as I got a cool name for the project, I will talk to Mnenomic to get a subforum for the project and make the celtx project available to everyone who wants to contribute.

I am "everything but an artist", so I would definitely need help on this. I can provide scripting, sound, photoshop magic, plot, QA -- but in no way I can provide any artwork to use the magic on ;-(

The features to be displayed should also include the real basics, as well as voiceover, GUI Components, Inventory system, different interfaces, at least one first person scene etc.

And ... high resolution, high color, detailed animation and high end production -- I wont to have this demo look "as commercial as possible".

In my first designs, I thought of NOT using a 3D charakter, for if the backgrounds are done in Photoshop, creating the hidden geometry might be a hard task. BUT: If someone can do this, it would be great. If we use a main actor as 3D Actor, we could use 2D NSC to show it's possible as well ;-)
... delete the inner sleep ...

CMK2901

• Lurker
  • Zoidberg is afoot!
    • View Profile
    • CMK Studios
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 06:46:35 PM »

Hey, that sounds great.  I have a fair amount of experience using Blender to create backgrounds, so if you need any pre-rendered backgrounds for it, just let me know.  I'm not saying it's amazing, but...its something.  So let me know when you're ready to start putting everything together. :)
CMK Studios
I don't think we're hearing the same voices.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.