Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Would Wintermute be Better Than AGS? *screenshots*  (Read 16758 times)

J. Man

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Would Wintermute be Better Than AGS? *screenshots*
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

Hi everyone. Me and a close friend of mine are currently in the process of creating a full length point and click adventure game that we may even release as a commercial product (it's a very big storyline and a big project).

We're in the fairly early stages at the moment but I'll soon be creating a demo of the game to try and get more people interested in helping with the game as the team is only about 4 people deep at the moment.

Here's some info on the game.
"Down on his luck and uncertain of his future, Malakey is looking for a little adventure in his life. One day, he stumbles across something sinister. Something so big it could endanger the whole world. Has he bitten off more than he can chew? Play as Malakey, an underdog reluctantly pushed into the role of becoming a hero. Scale a fantasy world of satire and comedy, interact with hundreds of weird and wonderful characters, solving puzzles and discovering hidden truths."

- The game is set in a fantasy world of satire with comedic circumstances and characters

We're working very hard to try and make this game feel as original as possible. Many of the puzzles are not ridiculously hard but will be enjoyable to do.

Here's some screenshots from the game.

I'm currently using AGS to create my game but I've heard quite a lot of good reviews about Wintermute. I was wondering why it's better than AGS or if it would be better for me to use? I wondered if anyone here could convince me :D?

Also if anyone would be interested in helping out with the project or even becoming a member of the team please email me at jmann@live.co.uk. We're looking for additional background artists that can replicate (or as close to) the style in the pictures above and also character art/animation.

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:42:41 PM by J. Man »

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Would Wintermute be Better Than AGS? *screenshots*
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:19:30 PM »

well, to put it simply, Wintermute does everything AGS does and more. There is absolutly nothing you can do in AGS that you can't do in wintermute, and there is lots you can do in wintermute that you can't do in AGS. I'm not saying AGS is bad at all, it is a great program, maybe easier to use than wintermute and more straight foward, but it is also much more limited, specially graphically wise.

J. Man

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »

Thanks shagma. Could you possibly give me some examples of things you can do in WM but can't in AGS?

nuclear_winter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:35:51 PM »

3D polygon characters over a static background (Syberia, Still Life, etc).

J. Man

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 10:05:07 PM »

Another program I've been looking at is visionaire but it looks to good to be true.

Akusa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:18:24 PM »

hard to tell if WME is better then AGS, personally i simply like the workflow of the WME.
Like nuclear said, AGS can not use 3d actors on static backgrounds.
But i would say the main advantage is the editor, i personally hated AGS sprite management and background organisation. Wintermute uses a folder-like structure and follows a more modern development philosophy then AGS.
Also nearly all AGS engine limitations are not present in Wintermute. You can use an unlimited amount of rooms, dialogs, text strings, items etc.

I would say you can try Wintermute and if you don't like its design structure, you can finish your project in AGS since your artwork looks like it was designed with AGS in mind.

J. Man

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 01:45:44 AM »

Thanks Akusa. But it wasn't intended for AGS we just like this kind of artwork for the feel of our game so maybe I will download wintermute tomorrow and tinker around with it. Thanks.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 01:33:16 PM »

Visionaire still cannot work with 2.5D....

J. Man

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »

I see. Wintermute it is then thanks for the help guys. I hope the community is as helpful here as at AGS.

What is the best tutorial you'd recommend for wintermute?

Akusa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 04:21:44 PM »

First read the Step by Step Tutorial in the documentation, then you should visit the wintermute wiki for more information how scripts are organized.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »

Welcome to the wme forums J.Man.

When you ask a question about which engine is better on an adventure engine forum it's easy to guess the answers ;)

There are currently 2 step by step tutorials tutorials. The older one is in the wme docs but the better one (and a must-read) is the On-Line book written by metamorphium which is hosted at wme wiki.
fl*p

J. Man

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 07:34:41 PM »

Thanks guys, I will post up some progress when I have some. Right now to get to grips with WME :D

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.