Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Gameuser Problem: empty game settings - grafic card not detected  (Read 4359 times)

Coldfire

• Lurker
    • View Profile

Hello,

I got a problem playing Art of Murder FBI Confidential.

On Vista and Win7 the game setting window spaces are empty and there can be no grafic card detected.

I use a GeForce GTX 480 with the newest drivers and any other game can detect the card.

Now I would like to ask, if it is possible to skip the game settings window with a startup parameter or if there is any other way to get this problem fixed.

Thank you all very much for your attention.

Regards,
Coldfire

Coldfire

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Gameuser Problem: empty game settings - grafic card not detected
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:32:52 AM »

Oh, I forgot to tell you the Wintermute Engine the Game uses:

Its Wintermute Engine Runtime Version 1.8.1.0 from 04.11.2007 16:09

The game is Art or Murder FBI Confidential in 1.0, because in all these years the publisher did not make any updates or patches.

I`m sure, that the problem lies only within the detection of the grafic card, maybe because it`s to new. *sighs*

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:59:54 PM »

Hello, you'd better be off with technical support of aforementioned game. As a general rule, check that you have the latest DirectX installed. You can always try downloading the WME development kit and using wme.exe from the kit but there might be compatibility issues. The best choice would indeed be contacting the company behind the game in question.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »

Update your DirectX installation, video card driver, monitor driver. Try running dxdiag. There's not much more we can recommend, I'm afraid.

It doesn't matter if the video card is old or new, if DirectX can see it, so can WME. Make sure your monitor can support the game resolution. If not, you should still be able to run the game in windowed mode (but I don't know if the Art of Murder makers allowed this option).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Coldfire

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 02:25:40 PM »

Thank you both very much for your help.

The newest DirectX Version is installed and dxdiag can detect the grafic card perfect.

The grafic card drivers are the newest once, too.

And the the monitor can do all possible modes and resolutions.

I would really like to contact the game studio, but they do not have any support or help function anymore. *sighs*

And the startup.settings file is still not created by the game, because it don`t startup, because of the game settings window problem.

Did I understand right, that I can try to use MVE to create the startup.settings and game.settings files so maybe the game is playable or the settings window can be skipped?

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »

Contact for the game developer is available here. You probably can't find the publisher anymore (?).

Can you please download wme demo and try to see if that works?

Also, do you use any modern firewall security suit (karpesky, norton, comodo, etc)? I ask because all those include HIPS components and sometimes they might sandbox/limit an application thus making it unable to check the hardware.
fl*p

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.