General Category > Software and games

Windows Media Player 12 maximize fix (Windows 7)

(1/3) > >>

Mnemonic:
Note: This is not related to WME. I just post it here because I have no better place to put it :)

The problem

Windows 7 includes Windows Media Player 12. This version separates the library view and the "now playing" view and it stores previous window position separately for each view. However, it doesn't remember window state of the "now playing" view. As a result, even if you maximize the window, close it, and later open some video file from Windows Explorer, the WMP window is never maximized.
I like my Media Player window to always start maximized, and judging by people's response to WMP12, I'm not the only one. I consider this behaviour a bug in WMP12.

The solution

I've written a simple utility, which ensures that WMP12 always starts maximized. You can download the installer here:

http://dead-code.org/download/download_wmp12fix.php

The installer installs the utility and makes sure it's executed every time Windows 7 starts.

What does it do?

This utility monitors the registry key which stores previous window state of Windows Media Player. Whenever this key changes to non-maximized (typically when you quit WMP), this utility restores the key value to maximized.
It uses the registry change notification API, so it doesn't have any negative impact on your PC's performance.

Known issues

When you uninstall the utility, it keeps running until you reboot Windows.

I hope someone will find it useful.

Disclaimer: The software is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied. In no event will the author be liable to you for damages, including any loss of profits, lost savings, or other incidental or consequential damages arising out of your use of or inability to use the Software, even if the Author has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

Jyujinkai:
who even uses windows media player or media center? I guess you do.. but you may be the only person in the entire world :P

RaptorrX:
Hello Ive downloaded the file and tried to install but get a strange error report "This Program Requires Windows NT version 6.01 or later" I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 7600  RTM on AMD 6000+ CPU ,4 gig of ram running at 3.2 gig Hz do you know of a solution for this problem?

Mnemonic:
Well that's strange, because Win7 *is* Windows NT version 6.01. Anyone else encountered the problem?

Daghead:
This worked flawlessly for me. Thanks so much!!!

(MS, wtf)

...wait, it had worked perfectly when I played a few videos earlier. Now its not working. Weird.

...ok, it seems to malfunction only with my .flv files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version