Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Camera Interactivity  (Read 7230 times)

FogGobbler

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Camera Interactivity
« on: April 02, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »

Hi!

I´ve just played the "Overclocked" adventure and I´m quite impressed with their camera movements.

Is there a way to do this in WME? I could think the easiest way would be to create a theora-video with the camera movement, but what about the 3D actors? It would be great to somehow save the camera animation in the graphics-program (I think only FBX can do this, or am I wrong?) and then load this into WME.

Or perhaps a keyframed camera animation, where you enter the coordinates "per hand".

I think this feature would be great for zooming in on things, i.e. faces.

Bye,
Oli

loken

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Camera Interactivity
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:32:38 PM »

You can control the camera with the Scene.ScrollTo method.

You first have to tell the engine not to follow the actor / main object. So use Game.MainObject = null; first. Don't forget to reset it to your actor after your camera work is done though.

You could then have a series of camera movements by repeatedly calling Scene.ScrollTo. The scene can scroll to an Object, or a set of X,Y coords.

Maybe not as elegant as your thinking, but it works. You could in theory record the movements in Blender and write an export scirpt, but I think that might be more trouble than its worth.

As for zooming, I don't think thats possible with WME. Your restricted to a 2d plane to pan around about. Only way around that is with a theora vid.

Whats this Overclocked game you speak of? Link?

--Loken
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:35:12 PM by loken »
-loken

FogGobbler

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:23:58 PM »

Thanks, but I meant the 3D camera we use for the low poly mesh. The theora video would be "underneath" the 3d actor, zooming the environment, but I´d have to move the 3D cam as well in order to display the character correctly.

Schnuffel

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dreamagination Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 07:31:30 PM »

Whats this Overclocked game you speak of? Link?

This is Overclocked: http://www.overclocked-game.de/
And here's an english preview: http://adventuregamers.com/article/id,641

As far as I remember though, the camera movements and effects in Overclocked are not real-time. They're all pre-rendered movies with the 3D characters moving on top. The same goes for the zoom effects.

FogGobbler

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:18:23 PM »

Sorry, forgot to post the link  ::)

Exact, they are prerendered movies. This could be achieved in WME, but we need to move the camera somehow, so that the 3D actors are displayed correctly. Any chance that this will happen?

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:52:39 AM »

No, that's impossible. The Cougar-Engine is an improved version of the Engine used for The Moment Of Silence, and the creators call it a "2.75d"-Engine. The Camera movement stuff and splitscreen techniques they use are quite unique in the adventure genre.
... delete the inner sleep ...

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 02:27:29 AM »

it would be possible to use non-interactive sequences with pre rendered camera moves. I am in fact working on this for my project. I am doing it buy setting up the non-interactive scripted movement of the 3dactor in wme (character moves in, while standing still). I then use this movement as a guide to the timing to set up the 3d camera in my 3d application for the pre rendered sequence. After that I then use a video file as a backdrop, witch stops at a still frame, then player interactivity is enabled. Same for hitting a "hot zone" witch triggers an animated camera move.

I am having some luck with this approach in my tech demos but i am not convinced it will work perfectly on different computer specs with different speed may screw it all up.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 05:09:06 AM »

after some experiments i have dumped this idea...
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.