Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: 3D scene import problem  (Read 4986 times)

patrikspacek

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Art blog
3D scene import problem
« on: April 29, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am looking for somebody who can walk me through importing 3D character/animation and 3D scene, which later works with light and shadows.
I would like to share screen on skype, I think that is the best and fastest way to explain stuff. If that works I will record it and place it on youtube for future same questions. I havent found any good video to show it.
Well, you can say read the manual, try to figure out, but I prefer direct contact, it takes much less time and its straight forward.

Here is what I did:
New .X exporter from Max 2014 64bit is here:
http://www.cgdev.net/download.php

- I imported actor3D through .X exporter and it worked in WME. I could see it in the window. No animation yet.
- I exported .3ds from Max 2014 with camera, imported the scene to WME and nothing show up, no camera in slot, where is the problem?

Thanks
2D/3D Artist and Animator
       Patrik Spacek

ciberspace

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Tele Juego
Re: 3D scene import problem
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:02:40 AM »

3D characters support in WME
WME provides support for real-time 3D characters rendered over a 2D background. This approach has been used by several commercial games, such as The Longest Journey or Syberia.

Compared to the classical 2D characters, this new method has both advantages and disadvantages. I will list some here, but you will be certainly able to think of more of them.

Some advantages of 3D characters
Camera angles. You are not limited by a fixed camera angle in all of your scenes, you can use basically any camera, which allows for more interesting look of the game locations

Smooth animations. The animation of 3D characters is using keyframes and all the frames in between two keyframes are interpolated, i.e. It doesn't jump" from frame to frame as in 2D pre-rendered animations

Independent body part animations. 3D characters allow you to animate various body parts independently, for example to combine walking animation of the legs and some gesture animation for the arms.

Attaching other objects to the character. It is a typical situation for adventure games that the character takes an item and does tome action with it. While in 2D you have to render new images for various items, in 3D you can use one generic animation and only attach various items to the character's hand.
Some disadvantages of 3D characters
You must know what you are doing. While the independent adventure development scene already mastered 2D characters creation, the 3D ones are a whole new world for many people. Not everyone is capable of modeling and animating a quality 3D model.

Higher hardware requirements. Although WME always supported 3D accelerated video cards to display fast 2D graphics with advanced effects, it was able to switch back to a simplified mode on old video cards. This is not the case of 3D characters support. Your games will require a decent 3D accelerated video card to run, which can drive away part of your target audience. Luckily most people own 3D accelerated cards nowadays. WME's minimum requirement for 3D characters support is Nvidia TNT2 video card or an equivalent.
Notes about migrating from .MS3D model format to .X format
Older versions of WME were using 3D models in Milkshape (MS3D) format. Starting with WME 1.6, Milkshape support has been deprecated and it is recommended to convert your models to Microsoft X format. Here are some common questions regarding migration from MS3D to X:

Q: Why the X format?
A: X format has several major advantages over the previously used MS3D format:
-X format supports weighted vertices. Your 3D artist will love that.
-X format natively supports multiple animations stored in a single file.
-X format is widely supported by various 3D packages.

Q: What do I need to know when switching from MS3D to X?
A: The 3D actors definition file format and scripting support have changed for X actors.
-3D actor definition file starts with ACTOR3DX, not ACTOR3D, to distinguish between X actors and MS3D actors.
-Animations no longer need to be defined by their frame ranges, because the X format supports named animation sets directly. You only specify additional properties of the animation in the act3d files (see the docs for details).
-The AddMesh(), RemoveMesh(), HideMesh() and ShowMesh() methods are deprecated. The attachments are now treated as autonomous scriptable objects. You add an attachment using the AddAttachment() method and remove it using RemoveAttachment(). The GetAttachment() method returns a reference to an attachment object, which provides it's own set of methods and properties (e.g. using the Active property you can show or hide the attachment).
-Unlike MS3D actors, the PlayAnimChannel() now blocks script execution even if the animation plays in other channel than channel zero. Use PlayAnimChannelAsync() if you want to play the animation without blocking script.

Q: How do I export/convert my model to X format?
A: I have started a Wiki page on X file support in various 3D programs. Feel free to expand the article if you have any additional info or experience with other programs.

Q: The old 3D actors format using MS3D models is now marked as "deprecated". What does it mean?
A: It means this old format is not going to be expanded. All the new features will be added for the new format only (the one using X files). The old format will stay in place for backward compatibility, but the plan is to completely remove it in WME 2.0. Hopefully the advantages of the new format will be worth the trouble with converting your models. WME 1.6 already contains several new features that only apply to 3D actors in the new format, namely smooth animation transitions and support for 2D scene design for 3D actors.

Further reading:
Principles and requirements
Actor definition files, X format
Actor definition files, MS3D format (deprecated)
Scripting support

patrikspacek

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Art blog
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »

Eh....there is nothing says about 3D scene, as I mentioned before, actor3d works for me.....    I am surprised WME use .3ds format, instead of obj or fbx, which are better supported.

- so my problem is this now!  prefix blk_ works, its red.  prefix walk_ works its blue, objects without prefix are invisible! instead of green. So what is prefix for green ones? 

other options is to make everything with walk_ prefix, which makes it all blue and shadows works on each object.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:05:54 AM by patrikspacek »
       Patrik Spacek

anarchist

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:40:53 PM »

All object should be prefixed. If something is not a walk entity then it is a block object and should be prefix with blk_ since you don't want the actor to be able to walk on it.

patrikspacek

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Art blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 01:22:39 AM »

this problem was also solved!....   we used 3dscene only for shadows objects, lights and camera. Other paths has been done in 2D. (paths for walk, viewpoints and blocking objects) Its faster that way.
       Patrik Spacek

anarchist

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »

What we do (which I think is quite common) is create the scene in detail to take a snapshot and create the background. Then we simplify the scene before exporting it. You dont need to have all the objects with full detail in the scene. Especially objects which will never be accessed by the character or will never have a shadow on them can be completely removed.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.