Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Wintermute an engine limited to slow paced games?  (Read 7393 times)

Ricciardo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Wintermute an engine limited to slow paced games?
« on: November 04, 2016, 03:53:26 AM »

Hi, i am opening here this topic as i dont think it would be apropriate to ask this questions on a technical area, since i believe its more oriented for specific actions using the editor.

Anyway, i am working to create an action/adventure game;

- allready got story structure script written
- Allready have some 2d character and background sketches

in the last 2 days i have been reading the tutorial book from Jan "metamorphium" Kavan wich i allready read substancial part of it...
its clear for me know, that this engine it suit the design of the backgrounds and the characters the way i want...

my only doubt, is... how far have people used this thing in bringing a game that is not just a point and click, mouse based adventure...
and changed its configuration to be used with a keyboard and mouse, being the keyboard the movement source and the mouse function
destinated for combat and reactive actions...

are there any examples of how to implement such thing?

eborr

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Re: Wintermute an engine limited to slow paced games?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »

Hello

I think it's fair to say that WME was built to enable point and click adventure games, but genius of the core engine is that it is versatile enough to expand it to do a lot more.

As far as cursor control of characters is concerned the mini game Spank the Hero is an example of how you can achieve this

http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=5021.msg28596#msg28596

However what you need to be aware of is that although much can be achieved with WME if you are venturing outside of what it does very well, then the onus for the work will be on you. For example if you are looking to have melee or ranged weapons, WME offers very little help by way of physics - so all that side of the work you would have to code yourself.

For my current purposes the product is very suitable, but for the next thing we choose to do we may have to move on

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.