Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Build 020  (Read 4262 times)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Build 020
« on: March 23, 2003, 06:05:17 PM »

Hi Mnemonic,

*wow*, what a great (big fat greek - no, I did NOT see the movie!) update! Thank you!

- you can define a rectangular area on screen where the scene will be displayed - the scene viewport (i.e. scenes no longer need to cover the whole screen); it's useful for fixed interface elements

That was fast - you DID it! I just tested it in my verb bar demo without any problems, it really works! Yes, yes, YES... ;D

- the engine is now able to rebmeber which scene nodes were active/inactive when the player leaves the scene and this state will be restored automatically after revisiting the scene (i.e. you no longer need to script this behavior manually); just check the "Remember nodes state" check-box in SceneEdit
  - scene entites have a new "Ignore items" property (in SceneEdit); if you set this property, the entities will act as non-interactive when the player attemts to use an inventory item on them - it's useful for example for the scene exits

Cool. Never had the idea the engine could make this work.

- the GUI windows now can contain entites; this makes the whole GUI subsystem much more flexible; it allows you to create "intelligent" windows, such as items close-ups or a Runaway style inventory

OH!  :o So you did it before I could write it down in the wishlist. I tried to do something like this by creating buttons and running a looping script to imitate the low-level events,  asking for mouse-position and clicks and... now, I will be happy to delete this script. ;)

But how does it work now ? I tried to edit my window file and added the book "ENTITY" like in the "room.scene" file, but this doesn't work. Any hints ?  :)

Ohhh... I can't await coming home next week to play around with all these fine features...
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Build 020
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 06:49:16 PM »

Yeah, how nice of me, I throw in a feature and I don't tell you how to use it... :)

OK, you were close, but to preserve an internal consistency, I had to make it a bit more complicated. The window doesn't actually contain the entity; it contains an "entity containter" widget, which holds the entity itself. The entity definition is stored in a separate file.
For example, to add the demo "Old Guy" entity to a window, the definition would look like:

Code: [Select]
WINDOW
{

ENTITY_CONTAINER
  {
    NAME = "OldGuyContainer"
    X = 100
    Y = 100
    ENTITY = "entities\oldguy\oldguy.entity"
  }
}

Script-wise, the entity container acts just like the other widgets (buttons, editors). You can query it using window's GetWidget method. The entity container provides a "GetEntity" method, which returns a reference to the entity being hold within the container.

Code: [Select]
var EntContainer = MyWindow.GetWidget("OldGuyContainer");
var Entity = EntContainer.GetEntity();
Entity.Talk("Hey! What am I doing on this window?");
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re:Build 020
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 05:17:18 PM »

OK...

it was a little tricky, but it works, thank you!

I used these fine new features (viewport, entities in windows) in my first alpha version of the verb bar, I will use the old thread for details about it... :)
Mooh!

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.