Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Poll

What release scheme would you prefer for new WME builds?

Frequent updates with fewer new features/bugfixes.
- 7 (46.7%)
Less frequent updates with a larger set of new features/buxfixes.
- 8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Updates: frequent vs large  (Read 11300 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Updates: frequent vs large
« on: May 12, 2005, 09:00:17 AM »

I was wondering what do you, WME users, prefer. I'm leaning towards the second option, because finalizing each release takes some extra time which could be used better, but I'd like to know what's your preference. Please cast a vote / post your thoughts.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Updates: frequent vs large
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 09:11:15 AM »

I voted for large updates. There is no reason to spend your time on small updates. And also my modem doesn't like to download new updates for every .01 new version.  ;)

The current method where you do a fast build of the wme.exe to help people with bugs must stay thought.
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 03:31:46 PM »

I'm the evil guy voting against you. ;)

And the reason comes from AGAST - the users were waiting for many many many months for the big update (Morningstar). In other boards the rumours started whether the engine is dead, although the developers were writing in the forum, which was simply not fair, but no good promotion for sure at that time. And last not least - I didn't like that "yes, it's fixed now, it will come in the next release" and you never knew when you would get that fixed bug.

Although that's not the case here and Mnemonic is sending all those nice quick bugfixes... I voted for the first option. ;)

Mooh!

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 05:11:18 PM »

actually I am here with Jerrot. I need certain issues to be addressed in a reasonable interval otherwise the whole team is stuck. But I understand that people using 2 1/2D have already much easier situation since I am still in the experimental field. Just my 2 cents. :)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 08:20:33 PM »

And the reason comes from AGAST - the users were waiting for many many many months for the big update (Morningstar). In other boards the rumours started whether the engine is dead, although the developers were writing in the forum, which was simply not fair, but no good promotion for sure at that time. And last not least - I didn't like that "yes, it's fixed now, it will come in the next release" and you never knew when you would get that fixed bug.

Imo this is not the same case.
1)Agast users didn't wait for just 4-5-6 months but way longer
2)Agast had many serious problems (pathfinding problems) or was lacking important features (save/load)
3)Mnemonic is releasing bugfixed versions of wme.exe very fast (sometimes even within hours of problem reported)
fl*p

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 09:12:31 PM »

hmmm, if there will be separate exe and doc update it will be fine with me. But it is not that far from the full release IMO.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 10:37:48 PM »

Hm... wme.exe + new docs will be close to a full release and imo pointless. I was talking about the current way of things with a fast wme.exe build just to correct a bug without updated docs, installers, tools or anythings else. New docs which describe new features must only come with a full release.

Ofcourse if for some reason a new full release takes a long time (more than 4 months) then a new smaller release must be made so that people can see that wme is not dead.

EDIT: Common people, vote so Mnemonic knowns what you prefer  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 10:41:31 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 08:59:50 AM »

@odnorf: To clear this topic - I know that and I agree with you. And I know for the Agast thing for sure, that's when and why I arrived here some years ago. ;) But I'm thinking of all those users, who are NOT daily at the IRC channel or even reading the forum regulary. Those users who might have discovered bugs, but are not "in the mood" to register to the forum and ask the programmer, although their bug might already be resolved. Those users, who just come by to the homepage, download the current version, test it and report bugs in other forums, complaining the last update has been a long time ago.

This all might be completely imaginery, it's just they way *I* might think as someone who is not using communities. I'm the first one appreciating Mnemonic's work and immediate support on highest levels. Still - we are much deeper in this community to know all this and if I'm asked to vote for more frequent updates with little bugfixes or less updates with more bugfixes (ok, and features of course), I'm going with the first, that's all. :)
Mooh!

MMR

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
  • http://mmrdeveloper.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
    • TinyWME
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 05:27:45 PM »

I voted for the second option. I prefer to see "big" improvements from one build to another instead of small bugfixes each month  ::)

I have to specify (as Jerrot said) that a long time from build to build is a double edge knife. No more "AGAST-like" examples  :-[

This is my humble opinion.

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Orange Brat Shenanigans™
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 10:30:04 AM »

Less frequent unless there's a crazy bug that needs squashing because of game crashing reasons.
The Disenfranchised™ - coming later

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 01:02:32 PM »

I want to vote "other"! Where is it? A bug in the vote!!!11!!1

:-)

No, I agree with Orange Brat, small updates only in case of serious bugs, else I prefer less but bigger updates. It's more fun to discover all the new functions then :-)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 04:26:25 PM »

I want to vote "other"! Where is it? A bug in the vote!!!11!!1

I quess you wanted to vote for "Frequently Large updates". Heh?  ;D Me too, but Mnemonic doesn't agree with me.
fl*p

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 10:03:20 PM »

Actually I vote for neural network in DevKit. This way WME could learn how I made my game and automatically generate a sequel.
What do you think?

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 11:48:41 AM »

Let us first see your game, then we decide if we really want a sequel :-)

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 12:10:08 PM »

Well, I am not sure if I won't have in license agreement that selling or copying the game to Nihil or any part of his family will be strictly prohibited.  >:D

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.