Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: matter of perspective: first person or third person?  (Read 11693 times)

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
matter of perspective: first person or third person?
« on: June 12, 2004, 08:34:53 PM »

What do you think about adventures using a first-person perspective (Death Gate, Shannara)? I dont know new ones with that kind of perspective. I guess a long time ago it was easier to create a game with less animations. But nevertheless i like them. I think the immersion is better (you see the world with your own eyes, so to say); first-person adventures have lots of third person text description, its almost like a good book.

But i suppose most of the gamers want to have lots of animations and a third person view so they can see the main character. Its more interesting to watch your character do all these things, its looking more alive.

What do you think about it?

MMR

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
  • http://mmrdeveloper.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
    • TinyWME
Re: matter of perspective: first person or third person?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 03:55:49 PM »

In my opinion, I prefer the 3rd person view.

DREAMWEB did a 1st person game with Wintermute. It's called "Sofia's Debt" and you can download it from here: http://www.justadventure.com/IndependentDevs/SofiasDebt/SofiasDebt.shtm

It's pretty short, but you could have an idea of how a 1st person adventure look like in WME ;)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 04:36:36 PM »

But i suppose most of the gamers want to have lots of animations and a third person view so they can see the main character. Its more interesting to watch your character do all these things, its looking more alive.

Yes, that's exactly my point. For me, (graphical) adventure games live from the possibility of watching, what happens due to your actions. I'm quite sure there are ways to handle this, but just from my personal view, I love to see "my actor" to walk around through the scene, going towards things, act with them, talking to them, etc. ! This part becomes very static in 2D games unless you prepare a looot of backgrounds and different perspectives and still it wouldn't be the same.

As mentioned with Sofia's debt I appreciate the idea of it and it worked fine there, but for longer adventures it could become boring - to me.
Mooh!

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 04:53:14 PM »

Thx for the link to Sophia's Debt, even if i know it already. I played it several weeks ago, its short but nice. :)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 04:57:29 PM »

As mentioned with Sofia's debt I appreciate the idea of it and it worked fine there, but for longer adventures it could become boring - to me.

I mostly agree. But there's one exception: KGB (aka Conspiracy). It's 1st person, but I loved the game. The story and atmosphere is excellent and it never becomes boring :) Highly recommended.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 05:03:37 PM »

I prefer third person adventure games but the truth is that if the story/script/puzzles, the atmosphere and the graphics are good it doesn't really matter. And a first persor adventure without a character doesn't make it easier just because it lacks one character animation. Usually those kind of adventures have MANY animations in the background.
fl*p

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 05:15:02 PM »

Third person adventures have background animations, too. I would say all animations of the main character would be more work to do, though. You need the walk cycle (perhaps in different clothes or with accessoires), animations for doing lots of things (for example, take MI3, LOTS of Animation for just the main char), for different face expressions and so on - i just played some first-person adventures and even the good ones with lots of animations would lose if compared, i suppose.

Perhaps you have an exampe of a first-person adventure with lots of animation? I dont know one, i guess...

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 05:21:10 PM »

There is an old adventure called "The legacy" I think which has many animations for it's time.
Myst 3 has A LOT of animations in real-time even when you move the camera.
Amerzone has some very interesting animations too.

On the other hand third-person adventures usually have less animations in the background. For example "Syberia" has excellent but almost static graphics and that applies to most third-pesron adventures.

Of course there are always examples of the opposite, like "Blade runner" which is a third person adventure but it has the most animations I have ever seen in any adventure.
fl*p

FinnishBoy

• Lurker
  • Mwah-hah-hahhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 05:41:06 PM »

I prefer third person too. But the best first person adventure I have played is Normality. It's really good, but it's annoyance that you can't find it anywhere (I have it

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 05:50:16 PM »

I played Normality a long time ago :)  But thats not what i meant with "first person" perspective. Sure, it is, but Normality is full 3d :)  I think thats a different story compared to 2d adventures.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 05:53:17 PM »

I prefer third person too. But the best first person adventure I have played is Normality. It's really good, but it's annoyance that you can't find it anywhere (I have it  ;D). It's eight years old game.

A search can be really helpfull  ;)
For example:
http://search.ebay.com/normality_Video-Games_W0QQfromZC3QQsacategoryZ1249QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1
fl*p

rcorp

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 11:36:23 AM »

I don

jonathanboakes

• Supporter
  • Lurker
  • The woods were lovely, deep and dark.
    • View Profile
    • Darkling Room
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 06:02:54 PM »

I can't imagine Syberia's locations working form a first person perspective, and the story lends itself to a 3rd person view. Kate Walker's (main character) appearance contrasts with the world around her, and makes up much of the stories heart. We are, essentially, watching Kate's adventure, rather than our own.

Whereas a first person view suggests immersion within the game world. You are experiencing the game world first hand, through your own eyes. This alters the narrative flow, as you dictate your own movements and pacing. Life can be suggested, through animations, and the recent Myst IV takes this to a new level.

Obviously, a full location in a 3rd person game also requires less screens. The viewpoint is fixed, as the character moves within it (sometimes covering many metres of play space). A node for a 1st person game requires either 4 views (for early-Myst style games) or several stitched graphics for a 360degree view. The average step from node to node is a couple of metres. The closeness of the camera to the game world also means higher res textures are essential.

By having less artwork to produce can mean more time for 'finishing' or adding extra details in post-production. Much of the Syberia screens feature montage material, with photographic elements cloned over dull surfaces. This is less possible in a 1st person game, as the nodes need visual continuity. A patch of weeds visable in one node, must be added to all the views.

My preferance, so far, has been towards 1st person, due to the narrative featured in the games.

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 01:26:31 PM »

Jonathan

Thanks for answering my email on game engines. That Torque 2d engine looks hard to master. I keep reading 'step learning curve' on the forum. Wintermute might work for me, but I am a little nervous about the profit sharing agreement. I wish it was spelled out in numbers.

On another subject....
My I suggest you use a female character. Kate Walker and April Ryan are sexy, that’s one reason guys like the games, and one reason to make a third person game.

Thanks again for the help.

Kori

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.