Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Blender and WME  (Read 19524 times)

gfxmachine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Blender and WME
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 10:24:41 PM »

But anyway, think of one-piece unchunked and interplotated md3 as a great solution for old machines, is good too.

Anyway, I suspect is been quite a task to make the ms3d loader, to ask for new formats...

gfxmachine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 08:23:32 PM »

Well, been searching but can't guess if there's support of partial weights in ms3d format...

Neither I know if the ms3d exporter does actually support weights or not ... As provided Milkshape software actually only allows 1.0 or 0.0 weights, the script author for Blender may have not cared about it, though would be useful for some games already using the format but not the tool... (scorched3d uses a plugin also for Blender and this format)

I have tested a little the export script (last post there) http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30004&start=15

...and...gives me an error about ipo quaternion rotations or something.

One thing is, though I can animate for games usually in Blender, I have very short knowledge of teh package, only learnt what i really needed. And IPO, Action or NLA windows weren't among my needs... I guess perhaps doing something with that ipo and action thing it may export well. Or maybe is a bug in the plugin.

Anyone knows?

Anyway, I dunno how I'd check if weight are ported, as...Milkshape -I have it-  will never display smooth weights, and then, only way would be...if file was ascii, but it isnt. What I don't understand is how is all put into an ms3d. Ms3d file was usually for mesh, and the ascii txt , the file to export animation info...

I guess my only way would be to check an exported file in Wintermute engine, and see there if weights are kept partial. But if i can't export, I cant do that....

Any ideas or experiences?

Has someone been there ?

And...Any Python expert? jerrot?

gfxmachine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 08:26:19 PM »

forgot:

the ms3d file I could get in one of the tries (if you dont write in the script keyframes to export, for example, it works)  the file got ok in Milkshape 3d, with skeleton and all, just skeleton unlinked, no asignment , no weights, not even 1.0 weights.

gfxmachine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 08:37:28 PM »

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/forum/showthread.php3?s=77d7054214e31c54bb1564641dcd9235&threadid=11938

judging that, is as one coder told me once, format should be able to support weights, is just that the Milkshape tool does not, so it just takes the maximum 1.0, or 0.0 when import and export, if you read  Mete's post at the end (he' ms3d author)

gfxmachine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 08:45:02 AM »

new idea. Perhaps the author of CFX told me once -don't quote me on this, I may be remembering badly- that ms3d format allowed partial weights but Milkshape did just trashed the partial weights at import (that would match with Mete's post I pasted above...)   I remembered then that actually I have another possible ms3d (+ascii) export among my purchased software....Character Fx. i'll try now and see if we can read in some way the info there and check weights(the cilinder bending example will rock here)....It'd be helpful if somebody tried to import the milkshape file/s that I may upload , and would save it for me as wintermute project (I have zero knowledge of Wintermute, yet) so I can load and check at least visually in the Wintermute editor like I did with triity (hey, really nice to see that one rotating in 3d rela time in the editor!) I think I'd inmediately check if then weights are preserved there.

Oh, and by the way, Character fx costs only 15$. yet so, I consider quite superior Blender(character fx only animates, but true that is somewhat easier than Blender). Indeed, no way to let a foot glued to the ground, while you can do in Blender. So, I'm hoping someone updates that Blender ms3d export script... ;)

gfxmachine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 10:21:05 AM »

ok, tested with a huge (coincidence, was for an AG, but targeted to rendered sprite of 100 pixels, that's why the poly count so crazy) count of 10k tris.

The fact is...I have another concept issue...hey, thought ms3d, the binary format, was only for mesh, while ascii .txt was the actual animation...I think I realize now...the ascii seem to be the full thing to, and surely ms3d too...they seem to be just to different ways, ascii and binary, but both port whole info.

Sadly, I can't read a binary file, but what Character Fx exports is ascii...well, i read here the huge coords list...

Stuff is...i am suspecting I can see here something that could well be the weight PER JOINT...but unsure...

Would need to be a coder and know the format well to guess it...

Anyway, unless I may find an ascii to ms3d converter, this tol would be of no use, as Wintermute only loads the ms3d format.That's another think I like of x, it's ascii.(wel, can be also saved as binary...)

If ms3d contains partial weights as all is pointing to, then, it'd *only* be a matter of whoever willing(ehm...jerrot? ;)  ) for it, or even same Venom (author of ms3d exporter for blender) update and fix the python script...And ensure it exports well the weights for several engines that use the ms3d format (heh, is not only Wintermute: there are a bunch of engines loading ms3d format for some reason...if it has internally weights, I'll have to start saying I like the format better than the tool... ;)  Which rocks, anyway, too ;) )

edit: yup, rereading that ms3d forum thread, found certain sentences : "MilkShape is able to Import as many Vertex Weights as any game supports it. MilkShape loads the data but then ignores to use it"

So, finally, a matter for any blender python programmer. ;)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 12:10:32 PM by gfxmachine »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.