Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Looping animated backgrounds  (Read 5895 times)

Baldie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Looping animated backgrounds
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »

Hi, im new here, and new too wintermute engine. Can i use animated backgrouds that loop in this engine?. And what graphic program should i use to make it? I have decided to use Sketchup for modelling cause its easy, and then i need a program to do the animation, lights and rendering.

If it is possible, what file extension do i save it to? avi? or something else?. Im i newbie, so keep it easy to understand pleas ::thumbupe

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Looping animated backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:48:43 PM »

as far as I know you can use theora videos (.ogg), animated sprites (like png secuences) and still images as background.

maze

• Occasional poster
  • Good news
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:55:16 PM »

Baldie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »

Thanks, that seems simple enough, what about program to render 3d animated scenes. I want something thats not to hard to use, i got a trial of lightwave 3D, can this program do it, or what about 3d studio max

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:40:19 AM »

almost any 3d program can do animations, lights and rendering. 3D is quite a big and complex world though, and to get cool results you will need sometime to learn (however it depends on the complexity of the art of your game). If you want to model in sketchup, then it should be fairly easy to export it to 3d max, add some lights, textures, and render it. Animations are a bit more complex, and even more complex are 3d character animations. I use 3d max or maya, although lightwave, cinema4d, softimage and others will get the job done, just pick one you like and start finding out how to do things. Remember though, that for backgrounds you have to be able to export in 3ds. format and for characters you need de .x format which in 3d max is quite easy to export, don't know in the others.

keybone

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Lucine
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »

for rendering y can use blender too..is free and have a good engine render...3d studio , maya or other are more expansive.

i think for animated loop in png and than composite into a sprite..but i not sure
Lucine Company http://www.lucine.it/
Tales of Lucine: The Realm of Hobdark http://www.lucine.it/TalesOfLucine

Baldie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 06:54:46 AM »

Can i use a a 1024x768, 5-30 sec looping video in full quality as a background? I want to use lots of light and weather effects, and  animated camera, instead of just changing the background picture (EX: Blade runner game). If this dosnt require to much resources.

Baldie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 07:07:03 AM »

Or can wintermute do 3d effects like fog,rain and lighting?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 09:38:20 AM »

Videos are always resource intensive. The bigger the video the more resource intensive.
Effects like rain and fog can be achieved using particle emitters (see the "Particle effects" chapter in the docs).
As for lighting, Stucki did some amazing lighting effects in Chess Worlds by having several versions of the background image, and cross-fading them when needed. Sadly, he removed the tech-demos from his website.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.