Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Atlanteans : Project Nadia (tentative title)  (Read 4341 times)

wedge

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Atlanteans : Project Nadia (tentative title)
« on: March 14, 2007, 03:26:36 PM »

Hi there.

Now that I've played a little with WME to check if I would be able to do what I need, which is obviously the case, I can now announce what I'm working on and what I'm searching.

My real name is Aurelien, I'm a programmer and some years ago I4ve launched the idea of making a game that would be based on the famous japanese anime Nadia The Secret of Blue Water (Fushigi no Umi no Nadia). While in the very begining I was working on 3D Games Creators also known as Dark Basic, which helped me make my first step in game programming, but I soon faced the limit of this software as it was a BASIC like language. Some times later I get myself into real programming using C++ and the well known 2D library SDL. Which I started to manage quite well, and you could get an idea of where I was with the old demo I made here

Anyway know as I face the fact that I've less time and that it becomes pretty hard to work on everything, I've switched to WME, which will be the game engine for this game.

But enough about me, maybe more interesting is the game itself. First for those who haven't heard or seen the anime, it is a famous japanese anime that has been made in the 90s by the Gainax studio (they are also responsible for Neon Genesis Evangelion), in fact in Japan it has been choosen as anime of the century back in 2000. So while my very first idea was to follow the original anime, some times later it has seemed more interesting to go for a new adventure that would use the character and of course could make mention of what happened in the anime, but would place us in an all new story. Our story is set something like 15 years after the anime (actally a few years after the epilogue which we are closer too). Here is the begining of our story :
Our story begins in the early years of the 20th century. It starts in France with Jean and Nadia, their child, and the friends they have met fifteen years ago. They are all together to remind the fantastic adventure in which they have been involved as “heroes”. All our friends are present: Sanson, Marie which has become his wife, their child (born just after Nadia and Jean’s one), hanson who has taken a short break from his company and the unforgettable Grandys, which still unmarried.

We are in the suburbs of Le Havre, in Jean’s house, I should called that his workplace, because even after all this time the place is still full of his creations, many of them for nothing because they don’t work!

On this special event, everyone is coming to be out of the routine, to share good moments with the others. During the party, Marie and Nadia have to leave the others to take a look to the kids, who are sleeping quietly in a room on the first floor. Once arrived, it’s the horror; a lot of screams, principally Marie, Nadia trying to help her and everyone staying on the room front door…

The children have disappeared!

A noise from the outside and Sanson and Jean have just the time to see an unknown car leaving at high speed. All of them want to follow but they have no vehicle. Fortunately, Titus was coming with its new vehicle Gratank (Catherine II). A few seconds later Grandys, Sanson, Hanson and Jean are on chase of the children's kidnapper. In the same time Nadia, which is now alone with Marie is trying to comfort her and to convince her that their husbands will come back soon with their children.

So basically we'll play with two characters, Jean and Nadia, which at least for the first part will be separated and will at some point get back together in the middle of our story through separate paths. I won't tell much more as there are a lot I want to keep, and both because everything is not completed on this point yet. We have definend the main storyline, the main events, and a few places, what is the end, and we still have to develop the compelte script, with the dialogs and so on.

To begin with and now that the engine is choosen and wont change anymore, I'll be trying to get people for making all the graphical content as well as maybe one person to help with the script. The first goal right now is to make something playable with a short simple story, maybe not directly linked to the main story we're preparing, to make a little demo and get people to know about the project, with the goald of showcasing this demo through the internet and at an anime/manga/japan event in Paris in July. That's why it'll be something not too complex maybe four backgrounds, one playable character with the work on the walk cycle done for the 8 directions. After that event and having made that demo, I think we will be able to progress little by little on the complete project.

So we're searching for graphist mainly, someone who could maybe help with the script (best if that person knows the original anime), and maybe a webdesigner that could provide on another topic help making a good design for the website as it is quite poor right now, and really needed. Of course for all graphics the goal will be to have something very colourful as on the anime, with a good resolution, and getting close to what it was, even if we can take a bit of freedom as we have the character older, and that some years have passed.

That's it I think I've come around everything of this project, if there are any other question, I'll answer them if I can.

The Website : http://www.atlanteans.net

Wedge
If a life is without a dream.
What aim have this life ?
If a life is without love.
Which happiness are we talking about?

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.