Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: BSOD during designtime with WME 1.8.006  (Read 13418 times)

Erwin_Br

• Lurker
    • View Profile
BSOD during designtime with WME 1.8.006
« on: December 27, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »

I'm following some tutorials to get a taste of WME, as I'm considering switching to this engine. Unfortunately, Windows crashes very often when clicking buttons or even switching to the project manager. I get a BSOD and have to reboot.

I'm using the stable version (1.8.006), and running Windows XP SP3. One important thing to mention, perhaps, is that I'm running it with a virtual machine (VMWare Fusion 2.something), because I have a Mac. The games themselves are behaving OK, the crashes occur during designtime.

Anyone else running a Virtual Machine? Or is this a known error in 1.8.006 and should I upgrade?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:35:26 PM by Erwin_Br »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: BSOD during designtime with WME 1.8.006
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 03:54:41 PM »

Well, BSOD is usually caused by driver crash, which is something an application shouldn't be able to achieve. Can you at least tell what caused the problem (what does the blue screen say)? And is there any chance of driver update in the VMWare environment?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Erwin_Br

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »

Well, BSOD is usually caused by driver crash, which is something an application shouldn't be able to achieve. Can you at least tell what caused the problem (what does the blue screen say)? And is there any chance of driver update in the VMWare environment?

I'm running the latest drivers, unfortunately. As for the message, it's something along the lines of a fatal error, Windows has to reboot, etc... VMWare automatically boots the machine, so I don't have a chance to read everything in detail. When I get back in Windows, it notifies me that Windows has recovered from a fatal error.

I'm running this virtual machine lots of times for different applications. The BSOD is completely new, and only happens when using WME. ???

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:24:37 PM »

If you go to My Computer -> Properties, somewhere there are "Startup and Recovery options", containing a check-box named "Automatically restart" or something along those lines. If you disable the option, you should be at least able to read what error the blue screen displays.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Erwin_Br

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 04:27:40 PM »

If you go to My Computer -> Properties, somewhere there are "Startup and Recovery options", containing a check-box named "Automatically restart" or something along those lines. If you disable the option, you should be at least able to read what error the blue screen displays.

Thanks. I'll let you know when I have more info.

For now the engine is running OK since I changed it from running full-screen to in a window. (I noticed that switching resolutions is causing some lag in Windows; maybe it's related.)

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »

The lag is normal, but if fullscreen crashes the engine, it's most propably the graphics support. I do not write graphics driver here, for vmware adds a layer between the driver and the game, so maybe the problem is vmware related.
... delete the inner sleep ...

Erwin_Br

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 12:01:40 AM »

After I turned on the full screen option, it didn't take long before Windows crashed again. Right after I quit the test game, while returning to the desktop. I guess I'll have to do most of my development in a window. It's not a big problem. This probably means that running WME games in VMWare can be tricky as well.  :-\

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 03:12:30 AM »

I personally do not trust any virtual machine if it comes to direct x. It's kinda running a DOS game in the the Windows 95 DOS Emulation -- it MAY work, but that's far from guaranteed.
... delete the inner sleep ...

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.