Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Screen resolutions for WME Lite  (Read 7412 times)

Rockinstone

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Screen resolutions for WME Lite
« on: September 14, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »

Hi everybody!

New user here, just starting development in Wintermute.
I have some questions regarding screen resolutions on different platforms that WMLite supports.

I'm developing a low-res adventure. From what I found out about "big" Wintermute is that it doesn't support screen scaling, ie. game always runs in resolution it was made for.
Since my graphics are based on 320x240 I currently scale them to 640x480 and run WM in that resolution.

What I wold like to know is how this will behave on WMLite and iOS devices? Will WMLite scale it down to iPhone 480x320 (with side borders?) and enlarge to iPad 1024x768? Or do I have to make everything for biggest denominator (iPad) and it only scales down?

Basically, what is the "safest" resolution that would allow cross platform deployment without having to resize backgrounds and re-region scenes?
Going higher than 640x480 seems like an overkill, especially for memory hungry devices like older iPhones/Touches.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Screen resolutions for WME Lite
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »

WME Lite scales both ways, so that shouldn't be a problem.
If you want to support 1st generation iOS devices, resolutions higher than 640x480 might indeed be tricky because of memory usage (but it depends on number of animations etc.).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Rockinstone

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »

WME Lite scales both ways, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Does that mean I could even use native 320x240 resolution, and it would scale up? Even on Windows/OSX? Unlike full WME?
Resolutions lower than 640x480 mostly don't work in fullscreen on modern cards. I'm worried for 640x480, as it seems it might be on its way out, too.

PS: is there some sort of zoom function in WME scene editor? Working with smaller graphics can be difficult on today's screens with high-dpi.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »

Does that mean I could even use native 320x240 resolution, and it would scale up? Even on Windows/OSX? Unlike full WME?
The lite engine is capable of that, but it doesn't upscale the graphics on desktop by default, only on iOS. There are some debugging options that can force a specific resolution, though (or one can compile a custom build of WME Lite with a fixed resolution).

PS: is there some sort of zoom function in WME scene editor? Working with smaller graphics can be difficult on today's screens with high-dpi.
Unfortunately not.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.