Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: 1024x768 template?  (Read 2976 times)

Aquilus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
1024x768 template?
« on: May 04, 2006, 04:23:37 PM »

I though about making a mix of adventure game and turn based rpg for a while. The Wintermute Engine looks awesome, so I've decided to use it for my project. However I have a minor problem with the templates. I can only choose the 800x600 one, I've tried copying the 800x600 and editing to make it 1024x768, but it doesnt seem to work. I can't seem to find the 640x480 template either.

One last question, this engine is can be used to make simple turn based combat without too much scripting, right? (the combat wont be as important as the adventure though).

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: 1024x768 template?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 10:41:27 AM »

Basically it would be enough to add a new scene template with the main layer pre-set to 1024x768. It can be done easily:
1) go to <WME directory>\templates\scene
2) copy the entire "Empty scene 800x600" directory to a new directory (for example "Empty scene 1024x768")
3) inside the new directory, edit the "$$NAME$$.scene" file in some text editor, and replace all occurences of 800 by 1024 and all occurences of 600 to 768
4) additionally you can edit the _template file and change the $DESC (description) line appropriately

As for turn-based combat, I'm afraid there's no simple answer to this question, because "turn-based combat" is a very vague term, and it can be implemented in many different ways. So, it's certainly doable, but the amount of scripting can vary depending on the complexity of your combat system.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Aquilus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: 1024x768 template?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »

Yeah, I tried that earlier, but what I couldnt do was to actually change the resolution. I tried editing the startup.settings file but it just reverted to 800x600, but now I noticed the startup settings at the left of the screen in ProjectMan and used it to edit resolution instead  ;). I should go get my eyes checked  :-[.

The combat will probably be a simplified version of the one in the final fantasy series, probably just every turn and the agressive party will attack first. Also a few abilities should be possible. This shouldnt require too much scripting, should it?

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.