Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: water-effect  (Read 17620 times)

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
water-effect
« on: February 15, 2004, 11:43:48 PM »

Hi to everybody here in this forum. i am new to this, but i am thinking about doing a classical Adventure game for a longer time now, and now i found this wintermute engine.

two questions are on my mind now...

- is it possible to have a water effect like in syberia. defined with a mask or an alpha channel.
  maybe somebody can code something ??!?!?  sorry but i am only good in making 3D-graphics and flash animations

- is it possible to get flash-files working in the wintermute engine - for some animations and othe things ....

i am very interested in these to things and would be very happy for somebody to answer....

greetings,
stucki

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re:water-effect
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 12:17:05 AM »

Hi and welcome Stucki!

- is it possible to have a water effect like in syberia. defined with a mask or an alpha channel.
  maybe somebody can code something ??!?!?  sorry but i am only good in making 3D-graphics and flash animations

I guess your abilities are already perfect to do something like a water effect. WME supports AlphaChannels very well and it's no problem to put that animation (the animated water effect) over other objects (e.g. some items in the water) by using the z-order. So you could simple create your water animation and use it in WME that way. Sorry if I did get you wrong, since I don't remember how it was done in Syberia right now... ! So no need for scripting here.

- is it possible to get flash-files working in the wintermute engine - for some animations and othe things ....

It does not directly support SWFs, but AFAIK Flash should be able to save simple animations (not interactive though) as image series, so you could use them for this purpose as animation sprites in WME. Or for some fullscreen cutscene you could also convert your Flash movies to AVIs. (AVIs for in-game objects are on the "ToDo-List", but not supported yet). I'm not sure whether this function was built-in in Flash, but I know it's possible somehow.

Oh - and don't mind to ask more detailled, we love to break our brains for solutions. ;)

Jerrot.
Mooh!

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 11:59:08 AM »

yeah thank for answering in such a short time, helps alot to know there is somebody ...

but you got me wrong with the water effect. I think ( id do not know for sure ) in syberia the water effect is not rendered, but mathemathically produced. Like some textures in unreal are. So i have to do one bitmap for the water and the moving and twirling is calculated in realtime. Maybe somebody can code something .....
I would be very interested in doing such things. I remeber in riven and myst exile it was also done

I hope you can understand my wishing better now, sorry for ,my bad english, i am not used to

thanks
Stucki

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 01:34:50 PM »

Hi Stucki,

but you got me wrong with the water effect.

I was afraid of that case. :) Hm, I'm not sure Syberia used real-time water effects, but I'll have a closer look into before answering the rest, which scene do you have in mind ?

I hope you can understand my wishing better now, sorry for ,my bad english, i am not used to

There was no problem with your English, I just didn't remember that effect. Anyway - here are users from a lot of countries, so where do you come from ?

Best wishes, Jerrot.
Mooh!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 02:07:46 PM »

There is a water-effect that I have seen often on the Internet, it is done whit a Java-Applet ( http://anfyteam.com/anj/lake/anlake.html ), maybe someone knows how to get the source-code and can adapt it to Wintermute?

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 03:30:51 PM »

There is a water-effect that I have seen often on the Internet, it is done whit a Java-Applet ( http://anfyteam.com/anj/lake/anlake.html ), maybe someone knows how to get the source-code and can adapt it to Wintermute?

I have no idea if this is indeed possible and I don't think it's important at this point because the biggest problem imho with your suggestion is that this script is not free but shareware. And even if we bought the script we wouldn't have the permission to modify it and use it in another app (I didn't find anything like that in the licence so I assume it works that way.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 03:31:32 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 03:35:09 PM »

I found a source code to a similar (or is it the same?) applet on the web:

http://javaboutique.internet.com/Lake/source.html

Perhaps this could be "rebuild" in Wintermute?
Unfortunately I don't know anything about Java, so I step back and let the experts do their job :-)

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 03:39:40 PM »

I have no idea if this is indeed possible and I don't think it's important at this point because the biggest problem imho with your suggestion is that this script is not free but shareware. And even if we bought the script we wouldn't have the permission to modify it and use it in another app (I didn't find anything like that in the licence so I assume it works that way.)

Oh, I didn't see it's shareware, I thought it was free because I've seen it on a million pages so far :-)

Well, is it allowed to rebuild code like this in another language? I don't know too much about the legal issues with things like this.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 03:47:05 PM »

Um... I don't see how to implement those ressource *eating* effects in a useful way, even if it was possible somehow.

I just had a look into Syberia and found the water under the bridge in the very beginning. Definitely no real-time calculation there, the perspective was chosen to not reflect any 3D parts and the water itself is a prerendered animation of about 20 sprites, which is no problem for WME. But maybe Stucki thought of some other scene...
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 03:51:27 PM »

The problem with this code is that it would be sloooooow for bigger images since it's painted pixel by pixel; the textures would need to be "prerendered" anyway.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 03:54:19 PM by Mnemonic »
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 04:12:08 PM »

Ok, I give up  ;)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 06:29:04 PM »

Ok, I give up  ;)

Don't give up yet :) Your advices are appreciated.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 06:51:24 PM »

The problem with this code is that it would be sloooooow for bigger images since it's painted pixel by pixel; the textures would need to be "prerendered" anyway.

So that's why I think it would be impossible to do it by scripting, there's no way to manipulate pictures pixel-by-pixel (AFAIK...).

Click here to sign my sig!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 07:05:28 PM »

So that's why I think it would be impossible to do it by scripting, there's no way to manipulate pictures pixel-by-pixel (AFAIK...).

Yes, it would be even slower. Much slower.

nachus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: water-effect
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 04:43:49 PM »

If i decided to do a 2d animation, how big can it be if it has about 20 frames? (in terms of performance)

On the other hand, i think the other possible way is maybe with a plugin  ???
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.