Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: How to use binkw32.dll ?  (Read 8919 times)

mmpn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
How to use binkw32.dll ?
« on: October 29, 2005, 10:18:10 AM »

Hi all, ???

How i can use binkw32.dll to play bink video on my game?

For Example: BinkStruct BinkOpen(HANDLE mybinkfile,UNIT32 Flags);

for More Info: http://www.multimedia.cx/multimedia-api.txt

Thank's...

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: How to use binkw32.dll ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 04:38:07 PM »

Why do you want to do this?

Bink files are of low quality and (the most important) the use of binkw32.dll in a game is EXPENSIVE.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 04:40:02 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 05:00:33 PM »

Bink files are of low quality and (the most important) the use of binkw32.dll in a game is EXPENSIVE.

Excuse me??? What you want to use instead of Bink while Theora is still unusable without xiph making optimizations? Bink is the cheapest
solution to deploy the video in usable quality.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 05:12:57 PM »

meta: Cheapest compared to what? $6000 isn't exactly indie-friendly price, IMHO.

mmpn: In theory you could write a WME plugin for decoding the Bink video into WME texture, but there are two problems: 1) that way you could only decode video, not sound 2) it would be illegal to use the bink DLL in your product without purchasing license from RAD Game Tools.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 09:33:19 AM »

Excuse me??? What you want to use instead of Bink while Theora is still unusable without xiph making optimizations? Bink is the cheapest
solution to deploy the video in usable quality.

Have you checked for the price for other possibilities?
For divx check here http://www.divx.com/corporate/solutions/request_info.php
Another possibility is Ateme.com which is the company that creates the H264 codec for nero.
You can even contact the xvid team at info@xvid.org to ask for help (according to their faq they can help with hardware licence... so why not with software)

And imo, from what I've seen, Theora has better quality than Bink. It's an ancient codec - just like Theora in that matter but... Check http://www.radgametools.com/bnkhist.htm The only changes they made in years is fixing bugs and add compatibility for various playstation & xbox consoles. The developers are using it only because it's easy to incorporate it in a product & it covers all big game markets (consoles, pcs, macs). But those two reasons are no valid in wme (no multi-platform & theora can't be easier to play and used).

And the use of binkw32.dll is not free even for a free/opensource program. Media Player classic was once using it (if the user had this library) to play bink videos but Gabest (MPC author) got a nice e-mail from Rad Game Tools. Yeah, friendly company.

EDIT: I modified some parts of this post. I hope noone answers at the same time I'm posting  ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 10:18:12 AM by odnorf »
fl*p

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 01:49:54 PM »

Quality is not an issue. Issue with theora is that video playing rate thanks to non optimized  library drops from 30 to 2 fps and back. It's simply unusable as it's now. None of FMV in destinies works well and that's why we were considering changing to Bink too unless they make theora more optimized (since there was a long silence I don't believe it will be so fast).

Divx was by the time I checked either royalties covered or 15000$ per game. Don't know how it is with other codecs. But basically almost all games using FMV uses Bink and I presume they have a good reason for doing so. ;) I don't buy theories like "stupid developers can't see better possibility".  ::beer

J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 05:06:36 PM »

I don't buy theories like "stupid developers can't see better possibility".  ::beer

I haven't seen a single game using an optimized ogg vorbis encoder for music/speech. Most of them are using mp3 or some pre 1.0 oggenc.exe build. :o  So, at least in the matter of music/speech they don't have a clue which makes me wonder about video as well...  ;) Professionals don't know better(tm).  :)

EDIT: I'm just curious. Have you tried to play those theora files outside of wme? Maybe the problem is with wme impementation and not theora itself. It's just sounds strange because I have tried some theora videos in the last month and I didn't have a problem with them playing outside of wme.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 05:10:14 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 05:50:26 PM »

I don't buy theories like "stupid developers can't see better possibility".  ::beer

I haven't seen a single game using an optimized ogg vorbis encoder for music/speech. Most of them are using mp3 or some pre 1.0 oggenc.exe build. :o  So, at least in the matter of music/speech they don't have a clue which makes me wonder about video as well...  ;) Professionals don't know better(tm).  :)

EDIT: I'm just curious. Have you tried to play those theora files outside of wme? Maybe the problem is with wme impementation and not theora itself. It's just sounds strange because I have tried some theora videos in the last month and I didn't have a problem with them playing outside of wme.

The problem with compression is oficially confirmed, Mnemonic has some thread which points to it. You don't play many new games these days don't you?  >:D I actually have very good experience with latest ogg usage in games.

Video stutters outside of WME as well as inside. I think that I will turn to IF games anyway. LOL

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 06:06:06 PM »

This is the thread meta was reffering to: http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2005-August/000938.html
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

mmpn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 07:31:20 AM »

Hi Mnemonic,

If i want use the bink DLL in my product without purchasing license from RAD Game Tools,

How i must do?

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 10:24:03 AM »

Hi Mnemonic,

If i want use the bink DLL in my product without purchasing license from RAD Game Tools,

How i must do?

I'm afraid you can't do that.  :-\ If you want to to use the bink decoder dll then you must purchace it first.
fl*p

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.