Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Blender->3DS (WME geometry file) exporter  (Read 34254 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Blender->3DS (WME geometry file) exporter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2004, 03:17:14 PM »

Another bug....if there's no camera in the 3DS file, SceneEdit will crash when you add the model and click on its visibility.
Uhm, wait, this is no bug of the Blender exporter anymore.
Point taken :P
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Orange Brat Shenanigans™
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 05:31:14 PM »

Uhm, wait, this is no bug of the Blender exporter anymore. 
The crash is known though, it might display some error message in a future version. Without cam, the geometry file is useless though anyway.

Sorry for suggesting it was a bug of your exporter. I meant for SceneEdit. I had discovered this by accident when I forgot to include a camera.  This has been fixed with the Xmas patch, so it's no longer an issue.

How do you know, it loaded the cam then ? I doubt it loaded anything, whatever it exported - this is no 3ds file.

I knew it loaded because the camera dropdown box in SceneEdit said "Camera" in it right before it crashed, so it loaded something. That file included in the ZIP may not be a 3DS file, but it came from the Blender exporter.

Anyway, thanks for providing us with the exporter. Blender's not so bad once you sit down with a few quickstarts. ;)
The Disenfranchised™ - coming later

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2004, 04:09:00 AM »

Sorry for suggesting it was a bug of your exporter.

Naah, I'm kidding, I just wanted to block a modeler/Blender discussion in this thread. ;)

Anyway, thanks for providing us with the exporter. Blender's not so bad once you sit down with a few quickstarts. ;)

I'm actually a friend of Windows GUIs as well and Blender was a shock. But trust me - it rocks after you got used to it and made 2-3 tutorials. It just... different. :)
Mooh!

trosa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 10:23:24 PM »

Hi All (& Jerrot, thanks for your export script),

I'am trying to using your exporter, but result 3DS has too small coordinates. Is it possible to add ZOOM FACTOR to exported scene? So, I will draw using normal blender coordinates and exporting script zoom all coordinates for ex. 100x, so WME will be happy. Or is there another trick? Becouse if I use Trinity 3D actor from demo, is tooooo large.

Thanks!

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »

Hi trosa,

I'am trying to using your exporter, but result 3DS has too small coordinates. Is it possible to add ZOOM FACTOR to exported scene?

Well yes, that's a known problem about Blender's coordinates. But the original exporter is not my work, so I'm afraid I would rather mess it up when trying to scale each coordinate, I'll have a look into it later, maybe it's easy. (Naah, it's Python... ;))

My workaround was simply to scale the actor(s) by editing the .actor3d file and setting the parameter "SCALE" to a fitting value for the scene, so you don't have to scale the Blender scene itself. So if I shouldn't be able to "hack" that exporter script, this might be a way to go at least.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:56:05 AM by Jerrot »
Mooh!

trosa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 09:58:15 PM »

My workaround was simply to scale the actor(s) by editing the .actor3d file and setting the parameter "SCALE" to a fitting value for the scene, so you don't have to scale the Blender scene itself. So if I shouldn't be able to "hack" that exporter script, this might be a way to go at least.

I've found similar workaround - setting Scale runtime, but this is better "trick".

Thx for your reply! ::rock

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 01:11:58 AM »

Hey people,

sorry for digging out such an old thread but it's perfectly fitting.
I searched the WME wiki but couldn't find any Blender 2.5 plugin that would enable me to export the camera aswell. Hopefully you can help me out. Maybe someone could modify the Blender 2.5 3DS exporter in order to export cameras?

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 08:36:32 AM »

Sorry for double posting but I have an idea. Alternatively to exporting the camera with 3DS you could also add support for camera data you can export with Blender :D! That might be easier to achieve.

Gratch

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 03:45:46 AM »

Maybe someone could modify the Blender 2.5 3DS exporter in order to export cameras?

I've had the same problem too. Fortunately (or not depending on how this goes for my sanity) I'm a coder. I'm working on modifying the 2.56a 3DS export script to handle lights and cameras. ATM it's not crashing after running my lights export add on so win. Also with how similar the exporters for 2.56 and 2.49b are I think I can make the changes backwards compatible.

Before people jump for joy I'll need two things. 3DS testers and WME testers (besides myself). WME being able to use the files == good enough. Full 3DS compatibility == bonus.

I'll post when I have the script ready for testing.

P.S. does anyone know how to properly add yourself onto a GPL License Block's copyright section?

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 08:59:26 PM »

I'd be really happy to be a tester! :D

Gratch

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »

I'd be really happy to be a tester! :D

Well bad news first. I've failed to make a Blender 2.56 script. Good news I got the 2.49b one going, and as a bonus the .blend files are backwards compatible. So you can use 2.56 to make everything and 2.49b to export the 3ds geometry. I'm just testing my first test scene and if the results look good I'll post the script code on the wiki for others to get and test with.

Gratch

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 11:34:45 AM »

Okay I've driven myself nuts trying to get an exporter to work for 3ds files. However I have found a solution. Autodesk offers a free fbx converter plugin which can also convert fbx to 3ds. I've tested it out with the 2.5d Model Viewer posted on here (sorry I can't remember the username right now). It works good with the version from 2006. The most recent versions create 3ds files that lock up WME. So a usable pipeline would be Blender->.FBX->fbxconverter->.3DS .

Good luck with your sanity people.

Gratch

p.s. it may also have helped if I'd completely read up on making 2.5d scenes before starting this endeavour....

camelo003

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 03:36:57 AM »

I folow the "export .fbx from Blender >> convert to .3ds wiht FBX Autodesk Converter 2011" pipeline, but when I try to add the .3ds file in 3D properties my 3D scene editor crashes.

Someone had the same problem? There is a detailed definition of what the .3DS file should contain?

ahedov

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 06:27:26 AM »

I still think that using older version of Blender is much more easier than this suggested pipeline. Go get Blender 2.49 and just run the script from Jerrot. And even if the coordinates in Blender are odd you can always choose a different scale in WME. No prob for me, easy as hell and it works.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 24 queries.