Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Support vrml as alternative to 3ds?  (Read 13646 times)

jlinam

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Support vrml as alternative to 3ds?
« on: August 19, 2007, 12:00:42 AM »

Hi, all -

I know this was discussed briefly at least once before, but I'm bringing it up again. I was wondering how difficult it would be to add support for vrml for 3d geometry? It seems that a lot of programs support vrml, and it would solve the problem of most programs not exporting lights and camera data in their 3ds exports.

I ask because I'm using Strata for modeling and rendering, and had read that someone here was also using strata and converting the bounding geometry, etc. via the vrml format. I tried doing a simple export of a scene from strata in vrml1 format, thinking to import it to Blender and convert with the python script supplied by someone on this forum (thanks). However, I'm having problems getting the import to Blender working - it always says no data found.

OK, that's a separate issue, but it got me thinking, why not just support vrml and be done with all this mucking about with 3ds?

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
Re: Support vrml as alternative to 3ds?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 12:24:15 AM »

Hm, I'm not sure, is vrml really still used that much? I have always been under the impression that it's a more or less dead format, although I could be wrong here.

jlinam

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 02:06:33 AM »

Well, it *is* pretty much a dead format, as far as its original purpose  (creating interactive 3d online worlds) goes. However, it seems well suited for WME's uses, because almost all 3d programs still support it, and it includes light and camera data in the file, which most 3d programs that support 3ds have trouble with. It's also an open standard, and the files can be edited by hand in a text editor if desired.

Also, as a purely poetic argument, the idea of taking obsolete technology and adapting it to a new purpose is straight out of "Neuromancer", so it would be particularly fitting in this case  8)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:20:10 AM by jlinam »

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 09:36:01 AM »

I just tried it using Carrara 5, and it really exports both camera and lights! Unfortunately, it does not include the object-names, neither in vrml1 nor vrml2 - but I don't know if that's a Carrara- or a VRML-issue?

Edit: Just tried the same with Blender, and there the object-names appear, so it should be a Carrara-Issue - although one that should be easy to solve by editing the files manually.

Now only Mnemonic must be convinced given that he would have to do all the work ;-)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 11:25:29 AM by Nihil »

jlinam

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:38:37 PM »

I just tried it using Carrara 5, and it really exports both camera and lights! Unfortunately, it does not include the object-names, neither in vrml1 nor vrml2 - but I don't know if that's a Carrara- or a VRML-issue?

Edit: Just tried the same with Blender, and there the object-names appear, so it should be a Carrara-Issue - although one that should be easy to solve by editing the files manually.

I've tried vrml1 output from both Strata and truespace and both include the object names. I think what you're seeing may be peculiar to Carara. As you noted, since the files are in ascii format, you can always hand edit them.

Now only Mnemonic must be convinced given that he would have to do all the work ;-)

Hence my (hopefully) persuasive listing of the benefits in previous posts.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:02:48 AM by jlinam »

jlinam

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »

Mnemonic, do you have any thoughts on this suggestion? I don't mean to be pushy, but I'm starting into the modeling phase of my project, and am trying to figure out the best workflow. If this is something you definitely have no time/interest in doing, I can start figuring out another solution to the lights/camera/3ds problem.

If on the other hand you think you might look into it, I can wait on that.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 02:18:38 PM »

It would be definitely nice to have some alternative for 3DS. But I need to do some reserarch and I'm currently a little too busy for that. I'll get back to you when I have more info. In any case, thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

jlinam

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 05:31:18 PM »

Thanks for the follow up. Just knowing that you are considering it helps me prioritize some things. Hopefully it'll make it in eventually.

victorfobos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
OBJ format - Re: Support vrml as alternative to 3ds?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:56:56 PM »

first to all, hi.

I was looking in the last days over the post in the support forum... with the hope that someone have a good research or solution about blender and wme manipulation.

But, i dont see one step solution (blender / wme ) ... thats is what i am looking for (yes... like a lot of ppl).

So... one suggestion over the format.

OBJ its a nice format, who make bridge in all the 3d software (max, maya, blender, etc) ... cause... Zbrush ;) (in fact... its the format for import to Z).

Then, why dont think about this format as the new default for 3D elements in the engine.

If this was posted in other place, my excuses for that... being a noob and trying to help may not came at hand :S.

I feel involved in this situation because, i use blender in my personal stuff (past years i was working characters over 3d max,,, now i only research illustration (2D), but i keep an eye over 3D, and of course, i prefer open soft over other... without any particular reason... just fun).

If this can be handy, :D ... if not... farewell ;)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 05:39:49 PM »

Unfortunately, to my knowledge the obj format can't describe lights or cameras, so it's not suitable for WME's scene geometry.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:56:28 PM »

The thing about Blender, which I think is the most used other modeler, is that it's pretty easy to write an exporter for it.  So, if you had a text file or something, that would work fine.  Most modelers provide export sdks, so I don't think it would be much of a problem for them either.  The problem is that you are using a proprietary binary format.  If you provide a text file format, I will gladly write an exporter for Blender.  Also, the exporter written and provided on the Wiki really doesn't work too badly even on the current version of Blender.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:04:55 PM by fireside »

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 04:45:56 AM »

If there is a plan to update the object format, i think it should be FXB. It is a universal fomate that contains objects, lights, textures, animation, rigging, skins... well everything. Might be somthign to consider. It is autodesks replacment for 3ds and obj formats and used to max, maya, motionbuilder intergration... also almost all major apps support it with out plugins.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 06:53:29 AM »

FBX is just another proprietary format with hard to find specs etc.  What about Collada?  I know Blender has an exporter for it.  It's XML.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:08:33 AM by fireside »

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 09:39:59 AM »

Don't know about Collada, but as far as I know Blender has a stable working fbx-export.

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 07:47:15 PM »

They have one, but I haven't been able to test it yet.  Blender's exporters are pretty iffy.  It looks like it's basically all right.  They have an SDK for it in C++ so it should be pretty easy to develop for, and they don't seem quite the total jerks they were with the specs for 3ds where people just had to guess at it.  With the information it handles it would probably be a good upgrade for animation loader also.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:49:49 PM by fireside »

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.