Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: non-rectangular walkplanes  (Read 9929 times)

jbw

• Lurker
    • View Profile
non-rectangular walkplanes
« on: August 24, 2007, 02:28:09 AM »

I'm not sure if it is a feature or bug or our misunderstanding, but we're unhappy that 3d lady can walk on rectangular walkplanes only. If we have defined walkplane with holes, she walks over such hole regardless of walkpoints. We have created simple demo (based mostly on original WME demo 3d) to show what we mean: http://main.jbw.pl/file/over_the_water.zip
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 04:13:40 PM by Mnemonic »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: non-rectangular walkplanes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:17:04 PM »

I can't check your demo now, but walkplanes are used merely for positioning the 3D characters in the world and for the 2D<->3D conversions. For navigation one has to use the blocked areas and waypoints.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

jbw

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:17:08 PM »

walkplanes are used merely for positioning the 3D characters in the world and for the 2D<->3D conversions. For navigation one has to use the blocked areas and waypoints.
So, if our actor stands inside the walkplane and we click outside, he is walking only to the border of walkplane. Why? Because the border of walkplane *should* terminate walking? I think so. This is what we expect.
But if we have for example U-shaped walkplane and want the actor to walk from one arm to another, he walks across the borders and it is NOT what we expect.
As we can see: in some cases walking outside the walkplane is prohibited whreas in some cases it is allowed. 2d blocked areas used together with the 3d geometry makes no difference.
Anyway, defining true walk areas in 3d world could be much easier by simple "walkmesh" then by tenths of overlaped blocking boxes.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »

Actually it's not walking what's "prohibited", it's the click. Since when you click with the mouse, the 2D point needs to be projected into 3D scene and that's what the walking plane is used for.

Tens of blocking boxes can be overcome by using the 2D pathfinding and defining the blocked regions in SceneEdit.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.